Moderator Control Panel ]

JOHN STEELE 1795 birth Sussex?

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

JOHN STEELE 1795 birth Sussex?

Postby tonyc » Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:41 am

John Steele, a farmer, was convicted of highway robbery at Kent Assizes on 15 Mar 1819 & transported to VDL. The Tasmanian records show his native place as Sussex with DOB of 1795. I have no way of finding info on him from church or court records in England. Any help on his background would be appreciated.

Tony
tonyc

Re: JOHN STEELE 1795 birth Sussex?

Postby peteroneill197 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:03 am

Hi

Looked up Kent Assizes for 1819 and in the lent sitting, I found a John Steele who was tried for Highway Robbery, but he was not deported, he was sentenced to death. This was the only John Steele found in1819 Kent Assizes.

pm me with email address and I will send copy of record.
Happy Hunting ;)
Peter
peteroneill197

Postby Ian Cochrane » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:01 am

peteroneill197 wrote:Looked up Kent Assizes for 1819 and in the lent sitting

Hi
You don't have access to the Maidstone Assizes for 1813 do you? If you do can you find anything about Hon. Basil Cochrane -v- William George Harrison. I know the trial was there but have not been able to find out anything.

Thanks
Ian
Interested in Cochranes, Welmans and Sambridges.
Ian Cochrane

Postby tonyc » Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:38 am

John Steele was sentenced to death for highway robbery but the sentence was comuted to 14 yrs transportation, (as was common if murder or violence was not involved). I'm in Australia & have no access to UK records. I have his convict record, but it starts from his arrival in VDL & doesn't show detail of the trial, his plea for mitigation or place of imprisonment while waiting for transportation. He was listed as a farmer at the trial in Kent Assizes with a native place of Sussex or possibly Salop (handwriting is hard to determine). If you think you can help with interpretation the web address is: http://search.ancestrylibrary.com/iexec ... pid=463930

Thanks for any help
Tony
tonyc

Postby ginnytonic » Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:37 am

Hi Tony
Spotted your discussion thread on the website and thought I would offer to help if I could. I don't as yet have any info on your John Steele, but I only live a few miles from the East Sussex Records Office in Lewes and am registered with a readers ticket.

Given the fact that John Steele was convicted at Kent Assizes it's probably reasonable to assume he lived/worked in East Sussex, and so if you or anyone else is able to offer some more info, I can see if the records office has anything more to offer/pass on to you.
Bye for now.

Regards Ginny :)
ginnytonic

Postby debsstock » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:43 pm

tonyc wrote: He was listed as a farmer at the trial in Kent Assizes with a native place of Sussex or possibly Salop (handwriting is hard to determine). If you think you can help with interpretation the web address is: http://search.ancestrylibrary.com/iexec ... pid=463930

Tony

The native place is definitely Sussex - written with the long s in the middle
Regards
Deb
debsstock

Postby ginnytonic » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:01 am

Hi Tony

Just to let you know I haven't forgotten about you and your relative John Steele. In looking at the info you have been sent before by other forums users, I'm not sure where or what people were looking at, but your John Steele was definitely sentenced to "Fourteen Years" with transportation at the Kent Assizes (Maidstone) on the 15 March 1819. The voyage date I have seen was listed as September 1819 on the vessel "Dromedary". I have downloaded a copy of the record from the Ancestry site which I could forward if you don't already have it from another source.

I don't know whether there was any connection between the other people listed on the same record as receiving life or similar sentences on the same day. For info their names were George Parsons and John Robinson (each 14 years). David Jacobs & John Ball received life - all were transported.

I did initially wonder if the court case and sentence was to do with the rural rebellions and "Captain Swing" in Kent and Sussex, but they occured later around 1830. However the judge in that area and who dealt with those cases was well known for being a bit more lenient than others of the day. If it was the same person it may be why John Steel received 14 yrs and not a death sentence.

I am planning to go into the records office in Lewes in the next couple of weeks and will try to make some enquiries to find either parish birth or baptism records relating to John Steele and also to see if there are any preamble records relating to why he was on trial in the first place.

Bye for now :)
ginnytonic

Postby Alysongs » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:56 pm

I realise that this is a very old topic so I realise I'm very late to it so this is a long shot! Did you find out any more information on John Steele as he is also a relative of mine that I am struggling to find in the Parish Registers...Please help if you have discovered any further information? Many thanks.
Alysongs

Return to General research queries