[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 1100: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'UTC' for 'GMT/0.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 1100: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'UTC' for 'GMT/0.0/no DST' instead
Guilt or pride in your ancestors : General Who Do You Think You Are? chat - Page 2 Guilt or pride in your ancestors : General Who Do You Think You Are? chat - Page 2 • Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine | Forum

Moderator Control Panel ]

Guilt or pride in your ancestors

Recently watched a repeat and discovered something new? Have a query about how the show is made? This is the place to have your say

Re: Guilt or pride in your ancestors

Postby screwlooose » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:47 pm

I have felt a huge slice of guilt. I was happily following my tree when one day i typed a name in the old bailey records and my Great Grandfather popped up. He had been charged with manslaughter.
Firstly he married on xmas eve, he was 18, his wife about 62! (go figure, she wasn't rich). They didn't live together, but decided to adopt a child from a newspaper add, i believe it was common in the1800's. Short story is that the child starved to death whilst in his wifes care. The child was 4. She was found guilty and given 6 weeks hard labour. He got off as he didn't live with them.
I have tried to find the mother and have traced her to a Birmingham workhouse, but her name was fairly common and i am unable to find if she eventually married. I have poor Ediths birth cert and her death cert, even her burial record, but wouldn't it be great to find some half decendants that you could at least say sorry too.
My way of saying sorry is to know that she wasn't forgotten, although she wasn't strictly family, she is part of my tree and sits on my wall along with my other decendants. Some lives were so sad.
screwlooose

Postby Barb Hafslund » Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:37 am

How very sad, screwloose. But I don't understand to be honest. Those people were a product of their times and it's only thanks to education that times and conditions have changed for us. And when you look at at what is happening worldwide nowadays one has to wonder if the education is still lacking somewhere! I'm guessing that in another 100 yrs people will look back on our lives and choices we took and shake their heads too.
The way I look at it when I examine my ancestors is that I was raised in far better circumstances and surroundings and they had to deal with a far harder reality. I'm pretty darned sure I would never have survived long in their times.
Barb Hafslund
Brisbane, Australia
barbh42@bigpond.com

screwlooose wrote:I have felt a huge slice of guilt. I was happily following my tree when one day i typed a name in the old bailey records and my Great Grandfather popped up. He had been charged with manslaughter.
Firstly he married on xmas eve, he was 18, his wife about 62! (go figure, she wasn't rich). They didn't live together, but decided to adopt a child from a newspaper add, i believe it was common in the1800's. Short story is that the child starved to death whilst in his wifes care. The child was 4. She was found guilty and given 6 weeks hard labour. He got off as he didn't live with them.
I have tried to find the mother and have traced her to a Birmingham workhouse, but her name was fairly common and i am unable to find if she eventually married. I have poor Ediths birth cert and her death cert, even her burial record, but wouldn't it be great to find some half decendants that you could at least say sorry too.
My way of saying sorry is to know that she wasn't forgotten, although she wasn't strictly family, she is part of my tree and sits on my wall along with my other decendants. Some lives were so sad.
Barb Hafslund

Postby lilyrichard » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:26 pm

Really nice discussion to share in this post.
Thanks
lilyrichard

Previous

Return to General Who Do You Think You Are? chat