Moderator Control Panel ]

BMD Certificate Information for Free

If you have birth, marriage or death records you no longer need, help other users by swapping them here

BMD Certificate Information for Free

Postby Jonny31 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:26 am

One way to obtain free certificate information would be for all family historians who have purchased certificates to donate this information to a GRO Index of Births, Marriages & Deaths so that it can be shared amongst fellow researchers. There is already an excellent (free of charge) system in place in which individuals can donate and view certificate information, the facility is mostly unknown amongst the genealogical community, and yet, most of us have heard of it and more likely use it regularly although not knowing that this facility of the system exists - FreeBMD (Free Searchable Internet Site of Births Marriages & Deaths Indexes) - which has over a quarter of million searches made on it daily. Recently, while making a search on FreeBMD I came across an envelope symbol next to the entry I was interested in. By clicking on this symbol, I found that someone had supplied the details of that certificate. Anyone can leave details/notes to any individual entry on FreeBMD. This is achieved by clicking on the red INFO symbol next to the entry you have details for. Then by clicking on 'add a postem' you will be given a text box of up to 250 characters to enter any information that you feel is related to this entry. After entering the details click on the 'Create' button. Sometime (up to 24 hours) later an envelope symbol will appear next to this entry. Which means anyone viewing this entry in the future will be able to read your comments just by clicking onto the envelope symbol.If all Family Historians donate the details of certificates in their possession, research will be made more easier and quicker and the costs associated with purchasing certificates reduced. Over time with everyones help this database will become ever more helpful. I ask every reader to donate their certificate information so that the wider genealogical community may benefit and also themselves in turn by making certificate information free and accessible to all.
Jonny31

Re: BMD Certificate Information for Free

Postby KiwiJan54 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:35 am

Brilliant idea. I suppose that, because we it is for personal use only that no copyright will be breached?
KiwiJan54

Postby angelahaus » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:15 pm

WHAT A GREAT IDEA - I PLAN TO GO THROUGH ALL MY CERTIFICATES AND THE MANY I HAVE WHICH ARE NOT TIED INTO MY FAMILY - AND WILL ADD A POSTEM FOR EACH. THIS IS LIKE GIVING A DONATION TO ALL FELLOW RESEARCHERS AND WILL MAKE BOTH GIVER AND RECEIVER VERY HAPPY :D
angelahaus

Postby jennielong_1 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:31 pm

Similar information can be posted in the Comments section on the Ancestry website.

The Leave a Comment box is on the left hand side of the page (towards the bottom) when you are looking at the transcripted summary of a BMD record.
jennielong_1

Return to Unwanted certificates