Moderator Control Panel ]

BMD Certificate Information for Free

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

BMD Certificate Information for Free

Postby Jonny31 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:25 am

One way to obtain free certificate information would be for all family historians who have purchased certificates to donate this information to a GRO Index of Births, Marriages & Deaths so that it can be shared amongst fellow researchers. There is already an excellent (free of charge) system in place in which individuals can donate and view certificate information, the facility is mostly unknown amongst the genealogical community, and yet, most of us have heard of it and more likely use it regularly although not knowing that this facility of the system exists - FreeBMD (Free Searchable Internet Site of Births Marriages & Deaths Indexes) - which has over a quarter of million searches made on it daily. Recently, while making a search on FreeBMD I came across an envelope symbol next to the entry I was interested in. By clicking on this symbol, I found that someone had supplied the details of that certificate. Anyone can leave details/notes to any individual entry on FreeBMD. This is achieved by clicking on the red INFO symbol next to the entry you have details for. Then by clicking on 'add a postem' you will be given a text box of up to 250 characters to enter any information that you feel is related to this entry. After entering the details click on the 'Create' button. Sometime (up to 24 hours) later an envelope symbol will appear next to this entry. Which means anyone viewing this entry in the future will be able to read your comments just by clicking onto the envelope symbol.If all Family Historians donate the details of certificates in their possession, research will be made more easier and quicker and the costs associated with purchasing certificates reduced. Over time with everyones help this database will become ever more helpful. I ask every reader to donate their certificate information so that the wider genealogical community may benefit and also themselves in turn by making certificate information free and accessible to all.
Jonny31

Re: BMD Certificate Information for Free

Postby jaxblk » Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:45 pm

Thanks very much for the information - despite using Freebmd regularly, I was unaware of this facility. I'll start to add details from the certs I hold very shortly. :D
jaxblk

Postby phsvm » Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:47 pm

Thank you so much for alerting us to this facility. As a beginner I've used Free BMD continually.

I've now started adding details from the certificates I have and one thing I have notice with marriage registrations is that you need to enter the information twice. Once having searched for the entry under the groom's name and again having found the entry using the bride's name.

I'm sure this is obvious to a 'seasoned' researcher but it wasn't to me!
phsvm

Postby Editor » Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:49 pm

This is a great idea Jonny31. I'm going to put it in the 'From the forum' bit in our January letters section. Let's spread the word.

Sarah
Editor
Site Admin

Postby phsvm » Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:24 pm

It's a while since this post has appear so I thought it was worth drawing it to the attention of new members of the forum.

I've just spent about half an hour adding details to Freebmd for certificates I,ve recently recieved. It hasn't cost me anything except my time. Hopefully the info I've posted will be of use to other researchers. I hope other will reciprocate and one day I'll be able to save some hard earned cash by using info posted by others.
phsvm

Postby isobelc » Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:50 pm

Thanks so much for posting this. I have been doing family history for nearly 40 years and I didn't know about this facility.
Isobel
isobelc

Postby woolybully » Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:35 pm

What a brilliant idea, thank you so much for highlighting this again. I'll certainly start to spread the word.
:)
woolybully

Postby JaneyH » Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:03 pm

Thanks for this - it's new to me. I've accumulated a few certificates over the last year so I'll upload details over the weekend.

With family history research I'm a firm believer of "what goes around, comes around". Over the last couple of weeks a wonderful person has been looking at county archives in a different part of the country on my behalf. I'm absolutely delighted with his efforts - it may well have been a year before I could have gone there myself. While I can't reciprocate directly, I hope that I can do a few small good deeds for others by way of a 'thank-you'.

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
JaneyH

Postby meekhcs » Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:01 pm

I have added lots of info to this site. It doesn't have to be just info from a certificate. If you have viewed the original parish record pertaining to an entry but don't have the relevant certificate, then add that info as well marking it as "viewed by me" or similar.
meekhcs

Postby lindyb1954 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:17 pm

Like many others thank you so much for posting this information, I too having been researching for 25 Years but never knew about this. I'm Currently on holiday but will get the details of the certificates I have added to the site, along with those we all purchase in hope. I will also look at adding details from parish registers as I subscribe to a number of sites and each have images of original parish registers.

As one of the posts already States, I too work on the principle of what goes around comes around.

Thank you again for posting this.
lindyb1954

Next

Return to General research queries