Moderator Control Panel ]

The Edwardian Farm

From Heir Hunters to Wartime Farm, this is the place to discuss other genealogy and history programmes

The Edwardian Farm

Postby callbrian » Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:00 am

The November magazine article about the new BBC2 series ‘The Edwardian Farm’ was of great interest and I am looking forward to seeing the programmes, as I live within 10 miles of Morewellham Quay, one of the locations.
Hopefully it will help to bring visitors flooding back to the Morewellham Quay heritage centre, which has seen a decline in recent years. This is the second BBC series to have visited Morewellham recently, as an Antiques Road show programme was recorded there in 2009.
The Quay was granted World Heritage status in 2006 and has a wide variety of activities available.
The discovery of an enormous copper lode at the Devon Great Consol mine during the 1840’s gave Morewellham great status (Queen Victoria paid a visit in the 1850’s). After the copper lode was exhausted, arsenic (used as an insecticide) became the main source of income. The mine closed in the early 1900’s and the quay was left to become derelict and overgrown.
During the 1970’s work began to restore the quay and the surrounding area.
Much more information about this fascinating place can be found here:
http://www.morwellham-quay.co.uk/
[color=#0000FF]callbrian[/color]
callbrian

Re: The Edwardian Farm

Postby ksouthall » Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:36 pm

We visited Morwelham Quay in August 2008 and I would love to go back again, next time I am in the area. It is definitely worth a visit if you get chance.
ksouthall

Postby meekhcs » Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:21 pm

When our children were small Cornwall became our 2nd home!! We spent every holiday there and I well remember a visit to Morwellham Quay with them and my parents. It was amazing with lots to see and experience for young and old. We haven't visited Cornwall for a few years but one day we will do a retro trip and Morwellham willl be on the list of "must sees". I would recommend it to anyone.
Sally
meekhcs

Postby callbrian » Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:34 pm

Hi
This series is causing some controversy among the locals. The pronounciation of some of the locations is making 'blood run cold'.
Even my wife wandered where 'Cuteel' was, we know it as 'Cotehele'.
Morewellham is not so clear cut, it can be 'Morwelam' or 'More well ham', depending on which local you talk to.
I hope we never visit Launceston in the series, that I'm sure will cause an uproar. I've lived in Cornwall for sometime and have never been sure how to pronounce it.
Brian
callbrian

Postby ksouthall » Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:37 pm

callbrian wrote:Hi
I hope we never visit Launceston in the series, that I'm sure will cause an uproar. I've lived in Cornwall for sometime and have never been sure how to pronounce it.
Brian

Is it pronounced "Lawnston" or have I got that wrong?

Katherine
ksouthall

Postby callbrian » Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:47 am

Hi
Kathryn is correct. Or is she?
Lawnston is one way, Lanson, Lanceson or Lawnson (no 't' ) is how most of the older or the local people seem to say it.
Brian
callbrian

Postby ksouthall » Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:19 am

callbrian wrote:Hi
Katherine is correct. Or is she?
Lawnston is one way, Lanson, Lanceson or Lawnson (no 't' ) is how most of the older or the local people seem to say it.
Brian

Thanks Brian. Well I was close. I wonder how my ancestor who died there pronounced it?
ksouthall

Postby Cllam9774 » Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:09 pm

What on Earth is wrong with the colour on this programme? It is so unnatural that it distracts from the programme content which is excellent. Rather than this 'enhanced' garish colour, I would prefer Black & White. Someone at the BBC should be fired for suggesting and allowing this.
Cllam9774

Return to Other TV and radio programmes