Moderator Control Panel ]

Photo WWI Soldier

Have you got problems identifying people or buildings in a photograph? Share your photo queries with other users

Photo WWI Soldier

Postby jgreen789 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:47 am

Hi - I wonder if anyone can help me. This photograph was found in family belongings but sadly no name or information was with it and no-one in the family knows who he is. We have a few options to choose from but it would be a help if I could find out what he was doing - he looks as though he could be in a cavalry regiment but I would be very grateful if anyone could identify his regiment and rank for me to give me a starting point, or offer any ideas as to where I could find out this information.

Many thanks,

Jo
Attachments
WWI Photo.jpg
WWI Soldier
WWI Photo.jpg (71.09 KiB) Viewed 1238 times
jgreen789

Re: Photo WWI Soldier

Postby AdrianB38 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:15 pm

If no-one comes up with anything here, suggest you post a query on the Great War Forum http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?

Try and get as big a photo of the cap as you can.

While he's definitely a mounted soldier (the spurs being a give-away), such people were in all sorts of regiment / corps, not just cavalry.
Adrian
AdrianB38

Re: Photo WWI Soldier

Postby jgreen789 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:40 am

Many thanks - I have now put on Great War Forum and first suggestions are that he is in the Royal Engineers or Royal Artillery. I have looked at some photos online of Royal Artillery and the uniform is almost the same. This would tie in with what information we have of family who served in WWI - we have a Thomas Kirby who died 5th August 1917 and he was in RA. So this may be him. I am hoping to get the cap badge enlarged and see where we get with that.

Thanks againk,

Jo
jgreen789

Return to Photo identification