Moderator Control Panel ]

London cemetery

Have you got problems identifying people or buildings in a photograph? Share your photo queries with other users

London cemetery

Postby SimonDaw » Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:26 pm

Can you help me identify this cemetery? One of my ancestors has a memorial here, but I do not know which cemetery it is. They died in 1954 in a Hospital in Carshalton, but they were most likely living in Wallington prior to their death. Both these places are now in the London borough of Sutton. I have been to Bandon Hill cemetery in Wallington, but it does not appear the be the place in this photograph. I would be grateful for any help, so that I can visit my ancestors memorial.

Thanks
Simon
SimonDaw

RE: London cemetery

Postby FamilyHistoryAddict » Sat Sep 22, 2007 2:43 am

Hi Simon,

I can't identify your photo but the way I've found the final resting places of many relatives is to ring up the cemetery offices in the local area. They keep ledgers which have records of everyone buried in a cemetery.

However, using this method you will need to purchase their death certificates so that you can narrow down the search period for the cemetery office staff. If you need any further help, let me know.

Cheers, FHA
FamilyHistoryAddict

Postby SimonDaw » Sat Sep 22, 2007 5:13 am

Hi FHA

Thanks for the tip.

I already have the death certificate, so will be able to give them the correct details. I will however wait for a little while and see if somebody out there recognises this location before I go phoning up the cemetery offices in the area.

Regards
Simon
SimonDaw

Postby snaphappy » Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:53 am

Not much help I'm afraid but as this appears to be a picture of a war memorial in a municipal cemetery have you thought of sending a copy of the picture to the local rag within either the Sutton or Wallington areas to see if they would be willing to print it to see if any of their readers would know of it.

snaphappy
snaphappy

Postby furnbee » Tue Oct 02, 2007 4:36 pm

Hi Simon

You do not say if your ancestor had always lived in the area where they died. Could they have been buried near where they were born or where their parents were buried - in a family plot.
Just a thought.
furnbee

Postby SimonDaw » Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:40 am

Yes, she had always lived in that area. Her husband is burried in Bandon Hill Cemetery, along with one of their Children. I have a photo of her memorial, which just contains her name, so I know that she is not in a family plot. This is why I would like to identify the location of the photo I have posted.

Regards
Simon
SimonDaw

Postby Mark1973 » Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:50 pm

I think there's memorials like that in the Wandsworth & Tooting cemeteries, not 100% sure tho.
Mark1973

Return to Photo identification