Moderator Control Panel ]

WWI Scottish Uniform Identification

Have you got problems identifying people or buildings in a photograph? Share your photo queries with other users

WWI Scottish Uniform Identification

Postby anthonyrundle » Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:23 pm

Hi!

Please can anyone help? The photo is of my great-granfather and taken in Plymouth in 1914 (He was from Plymouth). I thought that the uniform was that of the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders but, the collar badges worry me! All other photos I have seen of the A&S Highlanders show a different style of badge. That and the fact that there is very little tartan to the kilt or stockings to further help with identification. I am sure his sporran is A&S Highlanders but...well, I really am confused!

Thank you in anticipation!

Anthony
Attachments
Albert E Bignell-01.jpg
Albert E Bignell-01.jpg (55.97 KiB) Viewed 3998 times
anthonyrundle

Re: WWI Scottish Uniform Identification

Postby Sylcec » Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:43 am

I'm puzzled but for a different reason. As the photo was taken in 1914, I guessed Albert E Bignell would be about to serve in WWI, so looked up the medal index cards for him. Although there are 4 men named Albert E Bignell, none of them were in Scottish Regiments. One was in the Royal Engineers, one in the R.W.Kents and later the Labour corps; one in Machine Gun Corps; and the other in the Army Service Corps.
As I'm away from home, I don't have access to my books of badges etc, but wonder if there could have been different badges depending on whether the man was in the A&SH regulars, militia or territorials? If all else fails, why not send a copy of the picture to the regiment's website: http://www.argylls.co.uk/
Good hunting! Sylvia
Sylcec

Postby anthonyrundle » Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:13 am

Thank you for your reply Sylvia!

I have rechecked the original photo and discovered that it was not taken in 1914 after all! There is no date on it however, a photo with 1914 on the back does 'age' him about the same. He was born in 1891 so we can definately rule out the Anglo-Boer War period as he would have been too young. in 1914 he would have been 22 and I think he looks about that in the photo. He died in 1930 so WWII is definately not an option! I also know, from other family members, that he did not serve in the forces during peace time so, the photo must be WWI era.

Having checked a little on the 'interweb', I have discovered that the A&S Highlanders were in Plymouth on the odd occasion and, it might be that Albert E Bignell joined up then. He may well have been serving in a local volunteer group or something similar. I have also found that there are far too many battalions with the regiment! Trying to make any sense of it all leaves my head spinning!

Thanks again for your help and, if you get anything else, please do let me know!

Anthony
anthonyrundle

Postby anthonyrundle » Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:16 pm

Oh! I also have a birthday postcard for Albert E Bignell's daughter's 1st birthday. The address is Beaumont Place in...Edinburgh! It is dated 21 April 1917 so, he must have moved his family there for some time as my grandmother was also born there in 1918.

Could he have joined the A&S in Plymouth when they landed there and, moved to Edinburgh at a later date?

Annoying...but interesting!
anthonyrundle

Postby wozcav » Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:47 pm

Definitely A & SH: The "Swinging-Six" Sporran unique to them (We 2nd. Btt. 1919-1924). Collar Badge suggests a Yeomanry/Territorial Unit. Stirling Castle Museum and 'Argylls' Home-Depot, will give you answers on this, try them! They gave me Deployments of Father for stated dates. Good luck!
wozcav

Postby anthonyrundle » Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:38 pm

Back again! I have tried the museum as suggested but, they say that so many records were destroyed, ironically during the Second World War, that my search would not reveal a great deal. Unfortunately too, I do not have any record of his service number. Bah! It's hard sometimes to move forward!
anthonyrundle

Return to Photo identification