Moderator Control Panel ]

JOHN GANGE

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

JOHN GANGE

Postby BRGashead » Sun Dec 16, 2007 3:23 pm

Hi,
I am trying to trace my great grandfather JOHN GANGE. The information I already have found out is:-

*I have his Death Certificate stating that he was 52 when he died, and that he died in Bristol Lunatic Asylum from General Paralysis on May 17th 1913. He entered the asylum on 23 May 1911. His occupation was a Railway Carriage Wheel Oiler of Trinity in Bristol.

*I also have his Marriage Certificate from his marriage to Mary Ann Taylor on Dec 18th 1887 at St. Clements in Bristol. It states that he was aged 26 and was a Fitter. His father was George Gange, who was a tailor.

*In the 1901 Census he was Head of Household at 20 Little George Street, St. Philip & St. Jacob, Bristol. He was aged 42 and was married with 6 offspring. His occupation was Railway Wagon Fitter. HIS BIRTHPLACE WAS OLDHAM IN LANCASHIRE.

*In the 1891 Census he was Head of Household at 16 Little George Street, St. Philip & St. Jacob, Bristol. He was aged 32 and was married with 2 offspring. His occupation was Railway wagon Fitter. HIS BIRTHPLACE WAS OLDHAM IN LANCASHIRE.

*I can’t find him in any other censuses.

What I want to find out is:-
*Was John Gange really born in Oldham, as I can’t find an record of his birth, or any Gange family members in Oldham. Obviously, I want to trace my surname line back further.
*If he was born in Oldham, why did he go to Bristol, as he could have worked on the railways in Manchester, or Liverpool. Did he get extra pay for going to Bristol?

I would be extremely grateful for any information that you find out.

Kind regards,
David J. Gange

D.J. Gange
BRGashead

Return to General research queries