Moderator Control Panel ]

New November issue

Whether you've enjoyed a recent issue of Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine or have a query about the bonus content, let us know

New November issue

Postby Matt Elton » Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:39 am

Hello!

Does anyone have their copy of the new November issue yet? It's on sale now, featuring our in-depth guide to tracing your Australian ancestors, an interview with this year's Antipodean Who Do You Think You Are? star Jason Donovan, plus guides to making the most of Oaths of Allegiance, War Diaries and Edinburgh archives. But what do you think of the issue? Let us know here...
Matt Elton

Re: New November issue

Postby ksouthall » Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:02 am

I have enjoyed reading the new magazine, particularly the article on the upcoming Edwardian Farm series. We went to Morwelham Quay a couple of years ago and there is lots to see and do there so it's worth a visit if you're in the area. The mention of pasties in the article reminded me that we ate pasties in the pasty shop there. I don't know if my ancestors made pasties or not but I have been told that my great aunt used to make clotted cream, presumably a skill taught her by her mother. Unfortunately, this skill has died out in my branch of the family.
ksouthall

Re: New November issue

Postby paulberyl » Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:52 pm

I have paid a visit to Morwellham Quay a few times when I have been on holiday in Devon. Whilst I enjoyed everyone of my visits there was evidence that the museum was suffering from falling visitor numbers. Nevertheless I was sorry to learn that the Quay had gone into administration towards the end of 2009 and had closed in October 2009. However I understand that it has been sold and there were plans to re-open it this year. I wonder if any reader in the Devon area can give an update on the Quay. Has it been redeveloped and how is it prospering? It does serve as a reminder as to how vunerable some of these historic sites are to economic downturns, although some have benefitted from holidays now being taken at home rather than abroad.

If anyone finds themselves in the Telford, Shropshire area a visit to the Blists Hill Victorian Town is well worth a visit. This has recently undergone a £12 million re-development and has benefitted from having the television programme the Victorian Pharmacy filmed there.

Talking about pastries this brings to mind a bit of a mystery I have in my family tree. My great grandfather was a jeweller's engraver and is so described on the 1881, 1901 and 1911 censuses and my mother remembers him as a jeweller's engraver. However in 1891, the year he was married, on both his marriage certificate and the 1891 census he is described as a baker. Why would a jeweller's engraver become a baker for a relative short period of his life? Any suggestions welcome.

Paul
paulberyl

Return to Magazine chat