Moderator Control Panel ]

Nicholas Fleischmann's story

Whether you've enjoyed a recent issue of Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine or have a query about the bonus content, let us know

Nicholas Fleischmann's story

Postby Loish711 » Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:17 am

Having read this article it has made me understand my own family history more. Legend had it that a women escaping from France during the French Revolution went over to Ireland and married a man called Riley. I used to find this story very fanciful even as a child but now I can see some truth coming out of it. I have traced my family back to Dublin in the early 1800's and found that one James Reilly married a Ann Brackenage and my Great Great Grandfather was baptised on the 11th February 1834. Maybe the family got their dates wrong and the story was elaborated a bit over time but could she has been a Huguenot from a well to do family who married an Irishman? I now have some more leads to follow in my own history thanks to this article. It was thanks to a link on this forum too that I was able to find my GG grandfather's baptism which had been a brick wall to then and I hope next year to visit Dublin and do some more digging. :D
Loish711

Re: Nicholas Fleischmann's story

Postby Nick Fleischmann » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:18 pm

I'm glad to hear it. I have come across lists of Huguenot surnames, one of which related to Sussex but there must be others.
Nick Fleischmann

Return to Magazine chat