Moderator Control Panel ]

Tovil Pubs

Showcase your research and chat about the latest issues within the field of local history

Tovil Pubs

Postby Tim Swift » Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:28 am

Does anyone know anything about the history of a Public House in Tovil (Maidstone), Kent called the Papermakers Arms? My Great Grandfather, Frederick William Swift, was the publican there according to the 1881 census, but I can't find the Pub listed in an address search before or after that date...

There is another pub in Tovil Hill - 'The Royal Paper Mill' and I'm not sure if it is the same pub that has had its name changed.

Any help would be appreciated.
Tim Swift

Re: Tovil Pubs

Postby Tilliduff » Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:49 am

There are several Papermakers Arms in the Maidstone area, including one at Upper Stone St just a mile away from Tovil. But the The Royal Paper Mill may well have records going back to the beginning, as a 400 year-old pub I recently visited in Kent did. I spent a very happy and interesting couple of hours going through them. Why not contact them? The publican may well be delighted to share any knowledge.
Chris

Browns of St. Erme and Grampound, Cornwall, Henwoods of Devon and Cornwall, Tilliduffs from East London, originally Aberdeenshire
Tilliduff

Postby peteroneill197 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:27 am

Hi Tim,

In the 1871 census the pub was known as Paper Mill Inn
In the 1881 census it was the Paper Makers Arms
it then changed its name again to become The Royal Paper Millin the 1891 census
Happy Hunting ;)
Peter
peteroneill197

Postby callbrian » Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:30 pm

Hi
There is a site called 'Deadpubs' which has details on Kent Pubs.
I will add the following link which is for the 'Papermakers Arms' in Upper Stone St. This may give you a start in using the site.
http://deadpubs.co.uk/KentPubs/Maidston ... Arms.shtml
Brian
[color=#0000FF]callbrian[/color]
callbrian

Return to Local history