Moderator Control Panel ]

Mary Dyball - I cannot find when nor where she died.

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Re: Mary Dyball - I cannot find when nor where she died.

Postby meekhcs » Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:19 am

Hello Joy

I would try and look, or have someone look at the church register entry if possible. There was no original document with the record I found on FMP. If not, in this case, it maybe £10 well spent on a death cert. The next question would then be what happened to her in between?

Fingers crossed Sally
meekhcs

Postby Joy Dean » Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:53 pm

meekhcs wrote:Hello Joy

I would try and look, or have someone look at the church register entry if possible. There was no original document with the record I found on FMP. If not, in this case, it maybe £10 well spent on a death cert. The next question would then be what happened to her in between?

Fingers crossed Sally

Thank you. Ancestry gives a parish register image: abode St John's House (I think), Merton, buried 14th April 1919, age 88.
I have emailed the parish office at St Mary's Merton and received a quick reply: their volunteer has investigated and has found where a Dyball is buried but there is no gravestone, and "If you could tell her the year of death (give or take a year) she might be able to give you some further details.", so I gave the date of burial from ancestry and await further response.
Also in ancestry, I have found the burial record for her sister, Caroline Smith, in the register of deaths in the Greenwich Workhouse, 5th May 1894, age 76, admitted from the parish of St Paul, under where buried "by friends". It seems strange to me that the location of burial was not given.
Joy Dean

Postby peter kent » Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:05 pm

It seems strange to me that the location of burial was not given.

Irritating perhaps but not strange. "Friends" took responsibility for the burial and the workhouse authorities would have had no further interest in the matter.
peter kent

Postby 2012girl » Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:58 pm

There is a Marian Dyball, age 80, living in Croydon in 1911, birthplace Aldborough, Norfolk, boarding with a family named Mitchell, she is described as being single.

1901 - Mary A. Dyball, 336 City Rd, Islington, age 60, single and a dressmaker, birthplace Norwich, Norfolk.

1891 - Mary A. Dyball, 1 Arthur Rd, Beckenham, age 56, single, born Aldboro, Norfolk, living with her nephew Robert Dyball.

Not your Mary Ann of course, but I'm just wondering if this could be the Mary Ann Dyball death found by Sally in 1919? Age is a bit inconsistent on the census but looks like it could be the same lady and there was a Mary Ann Dyball baptised 20 Feb 1831 in Aldborough, Norfolk, which would match up with the age of the Mary Ann who died in 1919. Also, if this death was your Mary Ann, where had she been hiding since 1885, or 1891 if that is her on the census?

Very frustrating for you and sorry to possibly throw a further spanner in the works. Not come up with anything else I'm afraid.

Jill
2012girl

Postby meekhcs » Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:39 pm

Oh Jill what a shame! I think you are probably right, so maybe back to the drawing board.
It is amazing the number of Mary Dyballs there are in and around London, the electoral rolls lists several.

Sally
meekhcs

Postby Joy Dean » Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:01 pm

Sorry, Peter, I didn't word that very well. I should, also, have posted that I wondered why her family did not arrange the burial instead of it being arranged by friends.

Jill, and Sally, thank you both for all your research, it has been greatly appreciated. I have looked at your findings, Jill, and I agree that Mary Dyball, whose 1919 death registration Sally found, is not my relative after all.

Back to the drawing board indeed!
Joy Dean

Postby peter kent » Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:27 am

I should, also, have posted that I wondered why her family did not arrange the burial instead of it being arranged by friends.

The register doesn't distinguish between friends and family. If someone - anyone - claimed the body and relieved the workhouse of the responsibility for the burial, the entry reads "friends".
peter kent

Postby Joy Dean » Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:44 am

peter kent wrote:
I should, also, have posted that I wondered why her family did not arrange the burial instead of it being arranged by friends.

The register doesn't distinguish between friends and family. If someone - anyone - claimed the body and relieved the workhouse of the responsibility for the burial, the entry reads "friends".

Thank you, Peter; I hadn't known that.
Joy Dean

Postby meekhcs » Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:15 pm

Hello Joy

The only thing I cannow suggestis to focus on the following known fact:-

By 1891 Mary has left May Cottage and I would ask why?
She was still living there when John's will was proved in July 1885.
The obvious reasons for her to leave was that she died or remarried. John was a very wealthy man and left Mary very well provided for so, thinking cynically, why would she married someone else, unless they were equally wealthy. Have you looked at the other executors?

I think my next move would be to check the registers for St Pauls Deptford for a death or remarriage, for the years 1885-1891, after which Elizabeth was living in May Cottage,and if possible I would check them in person because however much info you give a researcher,they would miss things that would ring a bell with you.

Obviously there may be other reasons she decided to move elsewhere,or even back to Suffolk. She may have emigrated. She may have fallen out with John's Family. She may as you suggested earlier "lived" with someone and was buried in their name.

I would still have expected her to have a will. Even if she remarried and therefore lost the property John had still settled a substantial amount in shares on her,but of course for that we would need to know her married name.

Sorry to be negative Sally
meekhcs

Postby Joy Dean » Wed Oct 07, 2015 3:01 pm

Thank you, Sally, I think that I did follow the lives of the other executors.

Am just looking in https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/ ... _Genealogy
Joy Dean

PreviousNext

Return to General research queries