Moderator Control Panel ]

Mary Dyball - I cannot find when nor where she died.

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Re: Mary Dyball - I cannot find when nor where she died.

Postby Joy Dean » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:47 pm

Thank you, Sally.

I have tried to trace forward that solicitor, but made no progress unfortunately.

I also contacted an undertaker in Brockley (can't find the name of it right now) but their early records were destroyed in world war 2.

Yes, I don't know how I would go about that either.

Wouldn't it just be interesting to know how the whole family got on together, or not :-)

Well, Catherine in 1911 was still a widow in Lancashire, with four young children; the other beneficiary Augustus stayed in Deptford all his life.

I was sad to see from probate records online that Sarah Ann was of Leavesden-asylum when she died; what happened there, I wonder. I suppose in those days even depression could be a cause for being in an asylum; I can't find her in 1891.

And so I go on searching and wondering.
Joy Dean

Postby Joy Dean » Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:39 pm

By the way, if, whilst kindly searching, you come across other posts similar to mine here, they will, more than likely, have been posted by me.
Joy Dean

Postby Joy Dean » Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:44 pm

So, readers, would you, if you were me, give up for now and just accept, and make a note that she died at some time after her husband's death in 1885?
Joy Dean

Postby meekhcs » Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:53 pm

Never give up!! - but maybe take a rest from it for a while. New records are being added online all the time and something may turn up to help you in the future, or you may come up with a different angle. It happened for me recently with a cousin's birth record I had been unable to track down. It turned up in Scotland!
All the best Sally
meekhcs

Postby Joy Dean » Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:12 am

Thank you, Sally.

I tried Scotland but she wasn't there but, as you say, new records are online more and more and, as Mr Micawber would say - 'something will turn up'. ...
Joy Dean

Postby Joy Dean » Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:33 am

A further avenue explored - I enquired of the Greenwich register office whether for some unknown reason she might have been buried using her previous surname - Mary Ann Fletcher in 1895 - Quarter of Registration: Jul-Aug-Sep - Age at Death 76 - I received notification that she was the widow of Samuel Fletcher.
Joy Dean

Postby Joy Dean » Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:49 am

I haven't given up, I am still searching ... :-)
Joy Dean

Postby meekhcs » Mon Oct 05, 2015 12:59 pm

Hello again Joy
Have you checked the following death and burial?
Death Mary Ann Dyball 1919 Q2 Croydon 2A, 397
Burial Mary Ann Dyball 14 April 1919 Merton Surrey
The death record gives her birth as 1831 but given how elusive she is it may be worth checking if you haven't already done so. Merton is 10 miles from Brockley.

Sally
meekhcs

Postby Joy Dean » Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:30 pm

meekhcs wrote:Hello again Joy
The death record gives her birth as 1831 but given how elusive she is it may be worth checking if you haven't already done so. Merton is 10 miles from Brockley.

Sally

Thank you, Sally. I shall explore that; and I appreciate you looking for her again.
Joy Dean

Postby Joy Dean » Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:48 pm

Joy Dean wrote:
meekhcs wrote:Hello again Joy

Sally

Thank you, Sally. I shall explore that; and I appreciate you looking for her again.

Well, I cannot find this particular Mary anywhere else other than the Mary born Suffolk in 1831 widowed living in Camberwell in 1891. Perhaps after John died, Mary lowered her age? and, if that was so, then, Sally, you may have solved the mystery!
Joy Dean

PreviousNext

Return to General research queries