Moderator Control Panel ]

Alan Cumming

Discuss last year's series of Who Do You Think You Are?, which featured Bruce Forsyth, Dervla Kirwan, Monty Don and six more famous faces as they traced their family trees

Re: Alan Cumming

Postby Annie08 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:55 pm

I've enjoyed the whole series but Hugh Quashie's and Alan Cumming's have to be my favourites. Alan's episode, saved the best till last. I must have gone through all the emotions as I watched this one!

Perhaps the events of the episode 'over-took' my memory but apart from showing the garden and walk was there any mention of where Alan's grandfather was buried? I was asked the question at work the next day and just couldn't remember.

As the programme drew to a close my mind did wander to Alan's mother - I hope she was ok.

Annie08
Annie08

Postby Enoch Root » Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:55 pm

This was an excellent finale to an excellent series. However, I must agree with some of the previous posters regarding the death of Tam Darling. There are three issues which strike me as very odd.

The first is the post mortum report which described the gunshot entry wound as not having associated powder marks which one would expect. Also the location of the entry wound is unusual for a suicide to say the least.

Secondly, Tam Darling was coming off patrol in a strife torn Malasia during 'the emergency'. He was a police officer and would have had his own firearm, why would he borrow the revolver of another officer to 'play' russian roulette?

Thirdly, he was a foreign police officer in a small town for six or seven months at most prior to his death. He appears to have had a park and a street named after him. This suggests that he did no small service to the local population if they named parts of their town in his honour. Who would have been upset if he sided with the local population at that time?

I think that there is more to this fascinating story than meets the eye.
Enoch Root

Postby Cathcart » Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:46 pm

This was an exceptional story.

I was discussing it on Saturday with my Uncle who was in the same regiment with him in Kohima and was also wounded and sent to the same hospital in India close to death.

He was telling a story of a hair-raising ride on the back of Big Tam's bike which nearly scared him to death. He was on the regimental picture just two rows down from Alan Cumming's Grandad.

In those days when every roll call was made they had to follow Alan's Grandad's name with MM.
Cathcart

Previous

Return to 2010 series