Moderator Control Panel ]

id regiment photos

Have you got problems identifying people or buildings in a photograph? Share your photo queries with other users

id regiment photos

Postby ginge » Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:25 pm

Hi I have tried 3 times to try and write a piece and show photos of my Grandfather in ww1; I cannot fathom out how to show photos and it all seems complicated. Is there anybody out there that is prepared to email me so I can send some photos for id please?

Hope you can help

ginge
ginge

Re: id regiment photos

Postby Ian Cochrane » Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:12 pm

Ginge
Look below the text box you type in - you will see - "Upload Attachment". You can select the picture file you want to show us using this.
Regards
Ian
Interested in Cochranes, Welmans and Sambridges.
Ian Cochrane

Postby boltzmann69 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:43 pm

On behalf of Gine I've uploaded his photographs for possible identfication. Unfortunately the second is only a small .bmp so might be a bit difficult to evaluate.

boltzmann69

Postby AdrianB38 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:33 pm

Unfortunately there's virtually nothing in there to identify a regiment, etc. Yes it's WW1 and the guys in the big photo are clearly dressed in some sort of hot-weather gear. Based on their boots and the way the puttees appear to be wound (top to bottom - yes, it matters!) then they are _not_ mounted troops - unfortunately, that covers a huge swath of people!

If I blow the big photo up and look at the right-hand (his right) lower sleeve of the guy sitting down, there appears to be a single, small chevron pointing upwards. This is an overseas service chevron - just one shows that he's been abroad for less than one year - he gets the 2nd chevron when he's been abroad for an aggregate of 12m.

On his lower left arm, it gets really dodgy but I think there's another chevron pointing up the sleeve, of which I can see one half only, just above his cuff - this is a good conduct chevron. The OS chevrons are quite small while the GC chevrons are the full half width of the sleeve. I think this marks 2 years good conduct - which I think could be in the UK, so no contradiction with the 1y on the OS chevron.

Sorry - but that's all I can get out of it.
Adrian
AdrianB38

Return to Photo identification