Moderator Control Panel ]

Jason Donovan

Discuss last year's series of Who Do You Think You Are?, which featured Bruce Forsyth, Dervla Kirwan, Monty Don and six more famous faces as they traced their family trees

Jason Donovan

Postby Ian Cochrane » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:46 pm

I am NOT related but my great grandfather was named after George Henry Cox the grandson of William Cox! The Cox's lived in Mudgee NSW and the family are still there today making fine wine! See http://burrundulla.com.au/index_history.htm
Ian. :o
Interested in Cochranes, Welmans and Sambridges.
Ian Cochrane

Re: JASON DONOVAN (The Lyons side)

Postby DebbieD21 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:01 pm

Hi
enjoyed this program as the others were getting a bit samey and the combination of convict and convict ships captain made it different.

I was fascinated to see that the Lyons came back to London! so had a quick search and in 1861 Joseph and Rozetta are at 16, Middlesex Street, Whitechapel, London with Simeon and his siblings.

I wonder if this is Joseph and Rose(tta)'s marriage in 1835 http://www.synagoguescribes.com/persondetails.php?value=4542

Debbie
DebbieD21

Jason Donovan

Postby Matt Elton » Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:59 am

It may have been Bank Holiday Monday, but Who Do You Think You Are? soldiered on regardless with another new episode, featuring actor and singer Jason Donovan. What did you think of the ex-Neighbours star's story? Have your say here...
Matt Elton

Re: Jason Donovan

Postby ails81 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:23 am

I really enjoyed last nights episode, there have been a few this season I havent really engaged with but last night I really got in to. I thought Jason Donovan came across really well and seemed genuinely intrigued by his ancestry. The contrast between the two branches of his family, military and convict, was fascinating and his links to the soldier Cox and the building of that road was so interesting. One of the best so far in my opinion.
ails81

Re: JASON DONOVAN

Postby FamilyHistoryAddict » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:40 am

I loved this episode. Mainly because I have a convict relative myself and I've also visited The Blue Mountains. William Cox sounds an admirable ancestor.

I wonder if Jason is related to Nigella Lawson? Didn't Nigella also have a criminal ancestor? I remember she seemed very embarrassed about it but I can't remember the name of her criminal relative who wasn't transported.

I too thought it was a shame that Jason was estranged from his mother. When both your parents are deceased (such as mine are) you'd give your eye teeth to spend more time with them. You are separated from your parents by death so shouldn't waste precious moments that you could spend with them.

A very good episode. One of the best of the series.

Cheers, FHA
FamilyHistoryAddict

Postby ksouthall » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:52 am

FamilyHistoryAddict wrote:I too thought it was a shame that Jason was estranged from his mother. When both your parents are deceased (such as mine are) you'd give your eye teeth to spend more time with them. You are separated from your parents by death so shouldn't waste precious moments that you could spend with them.

FHA

Hopefully Jason or his mother may try to get in touch with each other now, although it must be very difficult after all this time. There is always the fear of rejection or that you or they won't live up to expectations. Perhaps knowing more about his great-grandmother will give Jason a different view of his mother. If she grew up seeing her grandmother's sadness at having to give up her career she may not have wanted to go through the same thing and made a difficult choice when he was very young.

Katherine
ksouthall

Postby ksouthall » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:57 am

FamilyHistoryAddict wrote:I wonder if Jason is related to Nigella Lawson? Didn't Nigella also have a criminal ancestor? I remember she seemed very embarrassed about it but I can't remember the name of her criminal relative who wasn't transported.

FHA

Nigella's criminal ancestor absconded from Holland to England to escape conviction. His name was Coenraad Sammes so was not a member of the Lyons branch of her family.
ksouthall

Postby Lizhen » Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:20 am

hh
FamilyHistoryAddict wrote:I too thought it was a shame that Jason was estranged from his mother. When both your parents are deceased (such as mine are) you'd give your eye teeth to spend more time with them. You are separated from your parents by death so shouldn't waste precious moments that you could spend with them. Cheers, FHA

I also thought this sad. What happened to Jason's mother, did I miss something?

I don't know why people are shocked to discover a convict ancestor, when you consider the petty crimes many people were guilty of, and what a punishment to be sent thousands of miles from home and family and in most cases never to see them again.

Admirable although William Cox was, and I did enjoy that part, I was fascinated by Joseph Lyons and his family. That Rosetta managed to get out to Tasmania, then they settled in Australia, then returned to London. For 'ordinary' people I would think that at that time this was a remarkable story.

I hesitate to rate this episode as the best of the series but for me personally it was the third most intersting. I had no great interest in Jason Donovan but he came across as interested, fascinated concerning his family history, and having known so little about his mother I would think it has had a profound effect on him.
Lizhen

Postby ksouthall » Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:55 pm

Lizhen wrote:What happened to Jason's mother, did I miss something?

Jason's parents separated when he was about four, divorcing a year or so later. His mother has three daughters from a subsequent relationship. The youngest of Jason's half-sisters also appeared in Neighbours as Sky Mangel between 2003 and 2007, not that I watch Neighbours but I found out through Google.

Jason and his mother lost contact after his parents split up. There was no hint as to whether or not Jason ever tried to get in touch with his mother or vice versa. Maybe now he will have the courage to contact her and, if so, hopefully she will be happy to hear from him.
ksouthall

Postby Emmeline » Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:26 pm

I thought this episode was one of the best in this series and a refreshing change from Debretts Peerage and the Ruperts. It was a fascinating and interesting story and Jason should be justifiably proud of how his ancestors helped to build a nation.

FamilyHistoryAddict wrote:I too thought it was a shame that Jason was estranged from his mother. When both your parents are deceased (such as mine are) you'd give your eye teeth to spend more time with them. You are separated from your parents by death so shouldn't waste precious moments that you could spend with them.

I totally agree with this as I've also lost both my parents. Hopefully this WDYTYA experience will spur Jason on to build some bridges with his mother as you truly don't realise what you've lost until it's gone.
Emmeline

Next

Return to 2010 series