Moderator Control Panel ]

William John Foley

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

William John Foley

Postby debrak » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:30 am

This is my maternal great grandfather. He was born in Kilmacow, Ireland and was in the Royal Artillery stationed for a long time in Malta. Whilst there he met and married an Maltese lady (who went by the name Lucy Foley) and had numerous children, my grandfather Francis Foley being one of them, being born in 1913.

What I am interested in is finding how the family got over to Wales - in about 1922/23. I know great grandad had come out of the army by then. Family rumour is that they came on a hospital ship but I don't know how much truth there is to this.

Can anyone help??
debrak

Re: William John Foley

Postby debrak183 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:59 pm

Still looking to hear something about this - anyone help please?

Sent from my iPad using WDYTYA Forum
debrak183

Postby AdrianB38 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:36 pm

Sorry, there are too many William Foleys in FMP's Army records... If you're looking for his Army records, then more details of when he was born, and when he left (if you know) are essential for any of us to help.

If you're just interested in the travel bit, it's unlikely (maybe not impossible) that records were kept. Passenger lists for troop ships were not kept. Nor were passenger lists kept for voyages to/from Europe (including the Mediterranean). The bit I can't remember is what happens if, at Malta, say, someone gets on a ship from India (say) - which has a list of passengers from there. Would they be put on a list? It would be worth a look, but if you don't find him, the answer is probably that the list for that ship was not created and/or not kept.

Sent from my MotoG3 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby debrak183 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:11 pm

Thank you Adrian. I do have his army records already and medal cards but I was interested in how they came from Malta to Wales - legend has it that is was a hospital ship but perhaps I will never sole the mystery.....

Sent from my iPhone using WDYTYA Forum
debrak183

Return to General research queries