Moderator Control Panel ]

ALEXANDER SEXIST PRIG

Discuss last year's series of Who Do You Think You Are?, which featured Bruce Forsyth, Dervla Kirwan, Monty Don and six more famous faces as they traced their family trees

ALEXANDER SEXIST PRIG

Postby debbies » Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:33 pm

Hi,

Without wishing to descend into the realm of personal attack I thought the comments made about the passing on of estates to illegitimate daughters was so misogynistic as to be unbelievable. I was also appalled at the thoughtless, inhumanity of it. Those 2 girls and their mother from the distant past would have been absolutely destitute once their father had died. In the 21st century we often criticise men for not taking responsibility for their children and yet here is a man who was thoughtful, kind and caring enough to make sure Salome and her daughters were well looked after. Who does Alexander think he is? He obviously thinks he is entitled by right of birth to make sexist comments about the woman and her daughters. Did you hear him when he found out the girls' mother was called Salome? The BBC really should keep small minded, immoral, sexist prigs like this off our screens. The programme was rubbish and so was the subject of the programme the snobby Alexander!
debbies

Re: ALEXANDER SEXIST PRIG

Postby ksouthall » Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:40 am

Whilst I agree that it was good that Edward left his money to his daughters and their mother, I would like to raise three points:-

1) We do not know the lead up to Alexander reading the will; however at the time the will was written, inheritance traditionally followed "the law of primogeniture", as it was called when we learnt about it at school in RE. This basically meant that it was custom or tradition for titles, land and money to pass down through the male line to the exclusion of daughters. As Edward's daughters were illegitimate they technically had no claim on his estate which is why he would have had to include them in his will. At the time, this was very unusual. Under modern morality, Edward is to be applauded for making them his beneficiaries, however he went against the trend at that time. I don't think Alexander was being sexist in his comments, he was just surprised that Edward bucked the trend and disappointed that his ancestor did not get what was technically, at that time, his true inheritance.

2) Edward at one point owed his brother over £14,400. I can't remember if we saw evidence of him having repaid it - I may have dozed off for a couple of minutes, so please let me know if the money was repaid. If he did not repay his brother, then he would not have the moral highground over his brother and Alexander would be justified in his comments.

3) You mention Alexander's comments about Salome however according to the Bible, Salome was the temptress who asked for the head of John the Baptist. According to some sources, she danced the "Dance of the Seven Veils". As Salome is often portrayed as a femme fatale, this is presumably what Alexander was alluding to in his comments. If she had been called Jane or Alice, he would not have been able to make the comment. It was a flippant remark that held no significant meaning and does not make Alexander a sexist.

It is worth bearing in mind that the programme is edited so we do not see everything that happens or is said, so some comments may be shown slightly out of context.
ksouthall

Postby Wahian » Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:45 pm

Sir Edward left £3,000 each to two of his illegitimate daughters; the balance of his £50,000 Estate was left to a third illigitimate daughter, with his younger brother Charles to whom he'd owned over £14,000 at one point, he'd left £100, though Charles also inherited the Baronetcy upon his brother's death.

Was Edward thinking of the well being of his daughters or was he also using them to dis-inherit his brother Charles from his estate; his Will being made 4 hours before his death ?
Wahian

Postby AdrianB38 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:10 pm

debbies wrote:Without wishing to descend into the realm of personal attack

Really?

Can I suggest you revisit the meaning of the word "comedian" and ponder whether 100% of what was said, was meant to be without irony, etc?
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby JanetMay » Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:15 pm

Sexist prig doesnt come into it. I am pleased to see someone has corrected the impression given in some postings under this thread. I cant see the post and I'm quite new to this forum but I think it was ksouthall who said something about it. Primogeniture was the law of inheritance where the first son inherited to the exclusion of females. We do need to know these things to understand our earlier ancestry. Its worth making a note about.
JanetMay

Postby ksouthall » Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:24 pm

debbies wrote:.....Who does Alexander think he is? He obviously thinks he is entitled by right of birth to make sexist comments about the woman and her daughters. Did you hear him when he found out the girls' mother was called Salome? The BBC really should keep small minded, immoral, sexist prigs like this off our screens. The programme was rubbish and so was the subject of the programme the snobby Alexander!

"Without wishing to descend into the realms of personal attack" debbies comments suggest a lack of understanding of general history and family history.

As JanetMay mentions in her posting, we need to put our ancestors' lives into the context of the times in which they were living, not compare their actions with current morality. After all, in a couple of hundred years time, morality and laws will have changed and currently conventional actions may be harshly judged by our descendents.
ksouthall

Return to 2010 series