Moderator Control Panel ]

Alexander Armstrong

Discuss last year's series of Who Do You Think You Are?, which featured Bruce Forsyth, Dervla Kirwan, Monty Don and six more famous faces as they traced their family trees

Re: Alexander Armstrong

Postby Sandimart » Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:20 am

Even though it was almost a historical programme I did enjoy it, maybe because I am also a distant cousin (through the Beaufort line). I suppose the further back you go the more people will relate to a subject or be related but it doesn't always follow that because the programme is about someone's grandfather from an obscure place in the wilds it won't be interesting.

Maybe with titled families it should be the stories where the titles were lost that are more interesting, in my family for example, being disinherited because of elopement or how someone survives when they are the 13th child and a daughter. That's when the real world starts.
Sandimart

Postby grahamt » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:11 am

Excitement at being descended from William the Conquerer is understandable. However each of us have many 27 Great Grandparents. Over 500 million actually, so the DNA is a little diluted.
grahamt

Postby lesley.mazey » Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:34 pm

I have to confess I agree with pentre above.

I also appluaded the ggg uncle (or whatever he was) who made sure his illegitimate daughters (who would doubtlessly have struggled otherwise) were financially secure rather than leaving the estate etc to his wealthy cousin.

And, like many othe rposters here, I do find I am getting a little tired of people finding out they are related to long dead royalty or landed gentry.

I know this is often where the records are available but we do like to hear about the ordinary people as well.

I hope Jason Donovan's is a little more down to earth.

L
lesley.mazey

Postby lainie3961 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:37 pm

Dont you think the fact that his family kept a copy of Burkes in the house, and that he and his mother etc was including within it, a bit of a giveaway for him that his family were quite 'well to do'? :? If he truly wasnt aware - his mother certainly was - and as a mother myself I would have made sure that my children were aware, from a very early age, if they came from landed gentry!!!! So the fact that she said she didnt know just didnt wash with me.

I found the whole programme [after the discovery of his name in Burkes] fairly predictable and his amazement at his 'discoveries' quite false and I am sure that Alexander Armstrong knew exactly where he came from and his family history!!! Yes - the 'discovery' of the murder of a family member was interesting - but how many families with murders in the family [and I have at least one!] have a transcript made and bound as a book?????

If the programme is going to start filming such as this - then I will stop watching. I got bored and even if Alexander pretended he didnt know what was coming, I certainly had a pretty good idea.

Elaine
lainie3961

Previous

Return to 2010 series