Moderator Control Panel ]

Relatives of Peter Walley - Killed in Action

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Relatives of Peter Walley - Killed in Action

Postby Jackie T » Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:15 pm

Sgt Pilot Peter Walley was killed on 18th August 1940 when his Hurricane aircraft crashed in Morden during an air battle.
The plane was seen flying low over Morden in Surrey in a manner that showed Sergeant Walley was making great efforts to avoid crashing into residential areas. He succeeded but died when his plane crashed in Morden Park.
Merton College was built on this spot and a commemorative plaque was placed on the wall of the College.
For many years a Mrs Mary J Bain, Peter Walley's cousin, attended commemorative ceremonies arranged by the RAF and held at the College.
The College currently holds an album holding information about Peter Walley and we would like to pass this to his relatives if there are any still living.
Peter Kenneth Walley was born on 20th November 1940 in Barnes, London.
He was in 615 Squadron of the RAF.
If Peter is one of your relatives would you like the album?
Jackie T
Jackie T

Re: Relatives of Peter Walley - Killed in Action

Postby Greg B » Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:18 pm

Hi Jackie

Just to let you know I am currently trying to help locate the family of Peter Walley.

Tomorrow 18th Aug is the 70th Anniversary of when he was shot down. I have a particular interest in Peter Walley as my father then 11 years old watched from his rear garden as his hurricane passed just 100ft over the top of his house, it was clear he was going to crash so my father ran onto Morden Park to find the aircraft on fire and Peter sadly already dead. As a tribute to his bravery we will be placing a wreath tomorrow on his grave in Church Road Cemetery, Whyteleafe.
Greg B

Postby Greg B » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:22 pm

Hi Jackie

Just to let you know that Peter Walley was from Wales not Barnes...

http://www.roll-of-honour.com/Flintshire/Rhyl.html

Peter Kenneth WALLEY

Sergeant Pilot. 819018. 615 Sqdn. Royal Air Force (Aux. Air Force). Died on operations 19th August 1940 aged 22. Grandson of John and Mary Alice Walley, Elwy Street, Rhyl. Buried St. Luke’s Churchyard, Whyteleafe, Surrey. Commemorated Rhyl Town Cemetery.

Stuart WALLEY

Died on operations 20th July 1943 aged 22. Grandson of John and Mary Alice Walley, Elwy Street, Rhyl. Commemorated Rhyl Town Cemetery.

Greg B
Greg B

Postby Tony m » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:35 am

Hello Jackie
If there are no relatives left maybe you could let The Shoreham Aircraft Museum in kent display any items you have.
Regards
Tony
Tony m

Postby Greg B » Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:57 pm

Hi Jackie

I have managed to track down relatives of Peter, if you could contact me by email then I will send over the details as I don't want to post them on a public forum.

Greg
Greg B

Postby Mike S » Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:55 pm

With reference to your interest in Sgt Pilot Peter Walley 615 Squadron: I am a second cousin to Peter. His mother and my father were first cousins. Their mothers were sisters. I knew Peter's Mum, my Aunt Dorothy very well. Please contact me if you wish to. I live in Carmarthenshire. Mike S.
Mike S

Postby Mike S » Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:47 pm

The 18th August comes around again....
Last year my wife and myself laid a wreath on Peter's grave at Whyteleafe at 1.30pm (the time that Peter crashed and died). There was already a wreath on his grave with a poignant verse attached to it. I assume this was laid by Greg B.
Another person who saw Peter come down is Royston who was 10 at the time and lived in Middleton Road, Carshalton. Royston now lives in Crawley. Between us Royston and myself have laid flowers on Peter's grave on or close to 18th August every year for the last 21 years, since meeting at the grave on 18th August 1990.
Peter is not from Wales. He was born in Barnes and grew up in the area. I have some of his medals for playing for Surrey Football Club. His father, George Walley, died in 1933 as a long-term effect of gassing in WW1 during which he was firstly in the Machine Gun Corps and later in the newly formed Tank Corps. George Walley and my father were close friends. George married Dorothy who was my father's cousin. Dorothy's mother and my father's mother were sisters.
Peter's grandfather, John Walley, lived in Wolverhampton, later in Rhyl and this appears to be the reason for the names of Peter and another grandson, Stuart, being on the memorial at Rhyl although this is somewhat odd, neither being from there.
This year I attended the reunion of 615 Squadron at Kenley on 14th August. Prior to this I laid a wreath on Peter's grave and later in the day went to South Merton College and the place in Morden Park where Peter crashed.
I have always had great pride in Peter. I was born in 1946 so never knew him but his Mum, my Aunt Dorothy, was very kind to me as a young boy. As she lost her husband George as a result of WW!, Peter in the Battle of Britain and was herself bombed out of her flat in Croydon she suffered a lot.
It is always pleasing to see how many people still remember Peter's selfless act on that day and actively honour his memory.
I have a lot of information about Peter and anyone who so wishes is welcome to contact me.
Mike S. Carmarthen. email: mike@squireseng.businessbb.co.uk
Mike S

Postby Paul Macdonald » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:40 pm

Only last weekend I received a box of old family photographs, newspaper clippings and the like from my Uncle, and discovered to my fascination that Peter Walley was my great, great Uncle!

I am also an aviation enthusiast and glider pilot and would be very interested in any further information about Peter that might be available or shared.

Thanks in advance!
Paul Macdonald

Return to General research queries