Moderator Control Panel ]

Monty Don

Discuss last year's series of Who Do You Think You Are?, which featured Bruce Forsyth, Dervla Kirwan, Monty Don and six more famous faces as they traced their family trees

Monty Don

Postby Matt Elton » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:20 am

The gardener, TV presenter and writer traces roots of a different kind in tonight's episode of Who Do You Think You Are? (9pm, BBC One). Come back to the site after the show has aired to watch some bonus unseen footage and read more about the locations Monty visits on his journey – plus, of course, to share your thoughts with other readers!
Matt Elton

Re: Monty Don

Postby callbrian » Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:43 pm

Hi
Once again a very well put together programme.
I have always been impressed with Monty's enthusiasm, for the programmes he is involved with, whether it was on 'Gardeners World' or 'Mastercrafts'.
I believe it came over particularly well during this episode.
Brian
[color=#0000FF]callbrian[/color]
callbrian

Postby ksouthall » Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:20 pm

I agree with calbrian. The programme was very interesting. I wonder if Ann was suffering from post-natal depression and that was why she left for New Zealand. Perhaps she found it very difficult to cope with her large family and needed some time and space to recover? It would be interesting to know more about her upbringing and whether or not that influenced her behaviour.
ksouthall

Postby Wahian » Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:50 pm

Unless it was mentioned at the end which I missed, I thought it would also have be interesting to tell of Alexander Keiller purchasing the Avebury, Wiltshire heritage monument in the 1930s and did a lot of work there, and how it looks today is largely down to his efforts there in trying to restore the monument.
Wahian

Postby ksouthall » Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:10 pm

Wahian wrote:Unless it was mentioned at the end which I missed, I thought it would also have be interesting to tell of Alexander Keiller purchasing the Avebury, Wiltshire heritage monument in the 1930s and did a lot of work there, and how it looks today is largely down to his efforts there in trying to restore the monument.

This Alexander Keiller was the nephew of William Keiller, Monty Don's great-grandfather, rather than his older brother. This may be why his work in Avebury was not included in the programme.
ksouthall

Postby LinC » Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:39 pm

Hi, did anyone else spot the error when they were talking about Rev Charles Hodge. They said he was Vicar of St. Saviour's in Clarborough, but St Saviour's Church is in Retford! Clarborough Parish Church is only a couple of miles away from Retford but the Church is St. John The Baptist Church. We used to live in Clarborough and worshipped in the Church, so do know this village very well. Other than that I thought it was an extremely interesting programme.

Lin
LinC

Postby Lizhen » Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:50 pm

ksouthall wrote:
Wahian wrote:Unless it was mentioned at the end which I missed, I thought it would also have be interesting to tell of Alexander Keiller purchasing the Avebury, Wiltshire heritage monument in the 1930s and did a lot of work there, and how it looks today is largely down to his efforts there in trying to restore the monument.

This Alexander Keiller was the nephew of William Keiller, Monty Don's great-grandfather, rather than his older brother. This may be why his work in Avebury was not included in the programme.

According to what I read Monty's great grandfather William died 1899 and his brother Alexander's grandson, also Alexander, inherited the bulk of the marmalade business. An amateur archeologist he sold his various properties in Scotland and England and financed the excavation of Avebury stone circles, having bought about 1,000acres around the site, to protect it.

Monty implies that the family money seems to have gone toward this, hence none of it coming down to his family. Alexander died childess in 1955.
Lizhen

Postby Lizhen » Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:19 pm

ksouthall wrote:I agree with calbrian. The programme was very interesting. I wonder if Ann was suffering from post-natal depression and that was why she left for New Zealand. Perhaps she found it very difficult to cope with her large family and needed some time and space to recover? It would be interesting to know more about her upbringing and whether or not that influenced her behaviour.

Monty's interest and enthusiasm drew me into the episode, and interesting family histories. I was fascinated by Ann. Poor woman had given birth to 11 children, two died in infancy, and at the age of 48 her two youngest were three years old and less than a year old. No wonder she fled to New Zealand! ;)

She must have been a strong woman, the journey to New Zealand in the early 1850s would have been no pleasure cruise. I read that when she arrived she had to camp on the shore while she built a log cabin and cleared her land. Then after some years she returned to England and later she and Charles and four of their sons returned to New Zealand. But why did they leave behind their other five children, including Monty's great-grandmother Charlotte... Perhaps they were by then adults leading their own lives, although I thought Monty said that Charlotte was fourteen.
Lizhen

Postby ksouthall » Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:33 pm

Lizhen wrote:According to what I read Monty's great grandfather William died 1899 and his brother Alexander's grandson, also Alexander, inherited the bulk of the marmalade business. An amateur archeologist he sold his various properties in Scotland and England and financed the excavation of Avebury stone circles, having bought about 1,000acres around the site, to protect it.

Monty implies that the family money seems to have gone toward this, hence none of it coming down to his family. Alexander died childess in 1955.

According to the programme, Alexander left the business to his son, John. He then left it to his son, Alexander, the archaeologist who rebuilt the Avebury stone circles. The Keiller business merged with Crosse & Blackwell in 1919. Alexander became interested in archaeology in the 1920s.

I also read that the Guernsey branch of this business did not make the expected profits, which is what exacerbated poor relations between Alexander senior and Monty's great grandfather, William.

Monty's branch of the family may feel that the wealth bypassed them, however most people tend to leave money and property to their direct descendents, rather than their siblings’ children don't they? Even though Monty's great-grandfather was not pleased at being sidelined, that is often how businesses work as splitting a business between siblings can weaken it whereas keeping it under the control of one major shareholder avoids this.
ksouthall

Postby Crafters Corner » Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:33 pm

My recorder let me down and decided NOT to record anything last night. I teach a class on a Monday night, so can't watch "live". Does anyone know if last night's episode will be repeated any time soon, or will I have to resort to iPlayer?

Cheers,
Sue
Crafters Corner

Next

Return to 2010 series