Moderator Control Panel ]

Monty Don

Discuss last year's series of Who Do You Think You Are?, which featured Bruce Forsyth, Dervla Kirwan, Monty Don and six more famous faces as they traced their family trees

Re: Monty Don

Postby ksouthall » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:26 am

Crafters Corner wrote:My recorder let me down and decided NOT to record anything last night. I teach a class on a Monday night, so can't watch "live". Does anyone know if last night's episode will be repeated any time soon, or will I have to resort to iPlayer?

Cheers,
Sue

It's repeated at 8.00pm tomorrow (Thursday 12th August) on BBC HD channel, if you have that channel.
ksouthall

Postby Wahian » Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:44 pm

It looks like Alexander Keiller Snr. died in Gibraltar 9 Feb., 1877. I wonder if the Keiller's had a home there or perhaps just visiting? His son John had to get confirmation of his father's death there for people in Scotland.
Wahian

Postby Gordon1955 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:59 pm

Hi, I am really enjoying the new series of WDUTYA, but I wish they would stop putting background music on when people are talking; at times it’s very hard to hear what they are saying.

Cheers Gordon.
Gordon1955

Postby Jeeps » Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:52 pm

ksouthall wrote:I agree with calbrian. The programme was very interesting. I wonder if Ann was suffering from post-natal depression and that was why she left for New Zealand. Perhaps she found it very difficult to cope with her large family and needed some time and space to recover? It would be interesting to know more about her upbringing and whether or not that influenced her behaviour.

That was exactly what I was thinking! I would love to know more about Ann's life in NZ, did she live by herself, find a partner!, what happened to the 4 children who went out there, did they build lives for themselves? So many questions!
Jeeps

Postby Wahian » Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:44 pm

From a website in the current edition of the magazine relating to New Zealand news archives, it tells us Ann Hodge died 5 August, 1890 at her son Henry's home near Feilding. She formerly lived at Ferry Rd, Christchurch, NZ and hasn't remarried, mentioning her as the wife of the Rev. Hodge, deceased. William Wilson was the executor of her Will which passed probate, 17 April 1891.
Her death notice was in the Hawkes Bay Herald and several notices from the solicitors dealing with her estate appeared in the Feilding Star.
Three of their children also turn up-----24 May 1875, 4th son John Ambrose Hodge married Jane Priscilla Simmons at St Paul's, Queenstown. Later on 27 November 1882, 2nd son Matthew Vere Hodge, a solicitor aged 44, passed away at Osburton, Wanganui.
On May 6, 1861 Anne Mervyn Hodge, their eldest daughter aged 21, died of consumption ( tuberculosis ).
Last edited by Wahian on Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:07 am, edited 4 times in total.
Wahian

Postby Wahian » Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:17 pm

The programme does show new family avenues to explore down but go nowhere with it, so have to look for yourself I suppose. John's son Alexander Jnr as mentioned above with his connections to Avebury, but also he financed the building of a new car; the Sizaire Berwick which eventually went broke, possibly taking his investment with it. The test driver they had employed was former racing driver Jack Warner who would later be far better known as Dixon Of Dock Green.
Wahian

Postby ksouthall » Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:48 pm

Ann Hodge left £69 16s 10d according to the National Probate Calendar, now available on Ancestry.com. Although she died on 5th August 1890, probate was not granted until 23rd January 1892.

Administration was granted to Frank Slater Pilditch, solicitor, attorney to William Wilson. It is not clear who William Wilson was.
ksouthall

Postby Jeeps » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:32 pm

Thanks folks, all very interesting. I would like to think William Wilson was a "very good friend" ;) :lol:

I had no idea Jack Warner had been a racing driver!
~~Jeeps~~
Jeeps

Postby kjsummerwill » Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:25 am

LinC wrote:Hi, did anyone else spot the error when they were talking about Rev Charles Hodge. They said he was Vicar of St. Saviour's in Clarborough, but St Saviour's Church is in Retford! Clarborough Parish Church is only a couple of miles away from Retford but the Church is St. John The Baptist Church. We used to live in Clarborough and worshipped in the Church, so do know this village very well. Other than that I thought it was an extremely interesting programme.

Lin

LinC, when St Saviour's was built in the 1820s it was within the parish boundary of Clarborough. It was built as a parish of ease to its 'mother church', St John's, Clarborough. Rev. Charles Hodge was the vicar of Clarborough (St John's), and therefore was vicar of both churches - although his memorial stone is in St Saviour's. St Saviour's only became a parish in its own right in 1934, after which it was known as St Saviour's, Retford. See http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place ... ?p_id=7324, and also http://www.oldnotts.co.uk/churches/clarborough.htm.
kjsummerwill

Postby ksouthall » Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:24 am

Jeeps wrote:Thanks folks, all very interesting. I would like to think William Wilson was a "very good friend" ;) :lol:

He could just have been the Executor of the will. Possibly a neighbour?
ksouthall

PreviousNext

Return to 2010 series