Moderator Control Panel ]

LONDON LIVES !

Share your thoughts with your fellow family historians – and the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine team – here

LONDON LIVES !

Postby callbrian » Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:13 pm

Hi all,
I have just logged on to this new website. This could be a real bonus for anyone searching for ancestors in London between 1680 and 1820.
Hopefully there will be quite a few people from the forum who can make use of it. It appears, at first glance to be very well put together.
I would suggest you register and have a good look at the information available.
My only gripe at present is, the password is sent via email and there doesn't seem anywhere on the site to change it to a more memorable one.
Brian
[color=#0000FF]callbrian[/color]
callbrian

Re: LONDON LIVES !

Postby Tilliduff » Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:40 pm

Thank you Brian! I have already found something which might be VERY interesting! :mrgreen: Happy happy.
Chris

Browns of St. Erme and Grampound, Cornwall, Henwoods of Devon and Cornwall, Tilliduffs from East London, originally Aberdeenshire
Tilliduff

Postby Sylcec » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:58 pm

I too have used this terrific site and recommended it to others.

It is extremely well put together, having been created by the same people who did the wonderful http://www.oldbaileyonline.org website, so follows the same sort of layout and uses an easily legible font style and size. A great deal of the value of Londonlives is in the background information that is supplied, not just in finding potential ancestors in the search results.

I hope that in time 'they' will add further resource data to the site.
Cheers, Sylvia
Sylcec

Postby debsstock » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:29 pm

I went to the launch conference for London Lives! - it really is a tremendous site.
It's part of a bigger project that will pull together a lot of digital resources that will be useful to academic, local and family historians called "Connected Histories". You can read more about it at the website:

http://www.history.ac.uk/projects/connected-histories

Some of the databases will only be available through academic or other institutional subscriptions, but it's useful to know about them anyway.

And I asked about the password issue - apparently the techies are worried about people choosing non-secure passwords which might make it easier for others to hack in to the site, but the project leaders are hoping to sort it out at some point. For now though you'll have to stick with the very non-user friendly passwords I'm afraid.
debsstock

Postby Marion Browne » Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:15 pm

Hi,
Can I also recommend Spitalfieldslife website for anyone with East End connections, it's a guy who rights daily about life there now but also has some brilliant history stuff & great photos as well. I have Huguenot silk weavers from Spitalfields in my tree & have found lots of interesting information.
Marion Browne

Return to Genealogy chat