Moderator Control Panel ]

Identify English Military Uniform

Have you got problems identifying people or buildings in a photograph? Share your photo queries with other users

Identify English Military Uniform

Postby mazz » Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:18 am

I am hoping this photograph found in a family locket is that of my Great Grandfather born abt 1861 in London. Can anyone please help with the year and uniform.

5.jpg
5.jpg (37.86 KiB) Viewed 1173 times
mazz

Re: Identify English Military Uniform

Postby snaphappy » Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:09 am

At a push (and with the wind behind him if he didn't show his age and looked younger than he was) this could be your great grandfather but I feel that it would be more likely to be his son (if he had one) or another rellie of a younger generation to your great grandfather. I say this because the uniform is from the first world war period,(and no later than 1924), although it could be a tad earlier as the khaki service dress uniform (in this style with the fixed shoulder tab) was first used from 1907. As for the regiment, sorry but there is no distinguishing ensignia on the uniform to say which regiment he belonged to, even his buttons are the normal genral service ones.

snaphappy
snaphappy

Re: Identify English Military Uniform

Postby mazz » Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:23 am

Thank you for taking time to look at this picture. I have now started to look at the son's he had and try to trace their army records.
mazz

Return to Photo identification