Moderator Control Panel ]

WW1 uniform query

Have you got problems identifying people or buildings in a photograph? Share your photo queries with other users

WW1 uniform query

Postby familytree » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:38 pm

I have been given a photograph of my great-grandfather who served in WW1 alongside his brother. The family know very little about him as he died shortly after returning home from the war. I would be interested if anyone could give me any leads on finding his records from the attached picture - what did this uniform signify regarding rank/duty? All I know is that he signed up in August 1914 in Berkshire. Any help is
AlbertBaker1.jpg
WW1
AlbertBaker1.jpg (63.45 KiB) Viewed 1257 times
greatly appreciated. Thank you.
familytree

Re: WW1 uniform query

Postby AdrianB38 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:19 pm

Two stripes on upper arm is a corporal - unfortunately, he's wearing (to state the obvious) a tin helmet when we need him to be wearing a proper cap with a badge on it!

He seems not to be in the cavalry or any other mounted troops because his puttees _seem_ to be wound from bottom to top - keeps the knot out of the mud, whereas the cavalry wound them down - presumably to stop the knot being rubbed by the horse's flanks.

About the only other helpful thing is that badge on his lower left arm - it's not really clear but I wonder if it's the badge for a machine gunner of some sort? (NB - this does not necessarily mean he was in the Machine Gun Corps)
Adrian
AdrianB38

Re: WW1 uniform query

Postby familytree » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:06 pm

Thank you very much for your informative response. I have delved further into my great-grandfather's war career and uncovered his picture and a short description on an on-line museum collection! In this it states that he transferred to the MGC and he was a lance corporal so your deduction was correct. Thanks agin - it was very helpful and allowed me to stumble upon the great internet museum find.
familytree

Return to Photo identification