Moderator Control Panel ]

Isaacs Enquiry

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Isaacs Enquiry

Postby lori_anne71 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:19 am

Hi,

I have been trying to locate one part of my family tree for several months now. While I have been successful in going back many generations on other parts, this one branch seems to end with no links whatsoever and I am getting increasingly frustrated with it!

My maternal Grandmother was born Olwen Isaacs in 1927. She was one of about 12 children born to Harry Isaacs (1893-1961) and Ethel Sophia Stone (1890-1978) from the East End of London. Harry was a famous boxer at the beginning of the 19th Century (was a holder of the Lonsdale belt around 1916) but had renamed himself Harry Reeve (along with his wife and children who also changed their names to Reeve). I have also recently found out through a distant cousin that Harry had also been involved in the famous Etaples Mutiny of 1917 as he was the Military Policeman who fired the first shot which killed Corporal Wood. (I have been unable to find any record of his military career)

The only record I have been able to find of Harry's has been his marriage certificate to Ethel Stone in 1912 which names his father as Louis Isaacs, who was a "Commercial Traveller", although my grandmother remembers him (he died when she was quite young) as being a Professional Gambler!

The only information I seem to have on Louis Isaacs is that he had three sons Harry, Jack and Morris and apparently had a daughter who died as a baby. His wife's name according to my Grandmother was Adelaide (although she is not 100% on this), but even with all this information I have not been able to find anything at all, and I am running out of ideas where I can go next.

I would really appreciate any help that can be given so I can trace the Isaacs back further.

Thanks a lot!

Lori
lori_anne71

Re: Isaacs Enquiry

Postby callbrian » Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:59 pm

Hi Lori,
I have located two possible Isaac's which may be your Harry.
There is a website concerning 'Lonsdale Belts' which I searched but could find no list of winners in c1916. Also a boxing biographies website, again no mention of a Reeve or Isaacs.
Using http://www.freebmd.org
Surname First name(s) District Vol Page
Births Mar 1891 Isaacs Harry Whitechapel 1c 325
Births Mar 1893 Isaacs Harry Whitechapel 1c 300
Good luck with your search.
Brian
[color=#0000FF]callbrian[/color]
callbrian

Postby lori_anne71 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:18 pm

callbrian wrote:Hi Lori,
I have located two possible Isaac's which may be your Harry.
There is a website concerning 'Lonsdale Belts' which I searched but could find no list of winners in c1916. Also a boxing biographies website, again no mention of a Reeve or Isaacs.
Using http://www.freebmd.org
Surname First name(s) District Vol Page
Births Mar 1891 Isaacs Harry Whitechapel 1c 325
Births Mar 1893 Isaacs Harry Whitechapel 1c 300
Good luck with your search.
Brian

That is great, thanks for that Brian!

So it's worth me taking a risk and going with one of those references and seeing if I get the correct birth certificate?!
lori_anne71

Postby callbrian » Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:27 pm

Hi Lori,
If possible I would contact the registry office to see if they could narrow down the search to one or the other, as you know the father's name.
Whitechapel now comes under the Tower Hamlets registry district.
This is the link for them:
http://www.thbmd.co.uk/links.php there are several links here including : http://www.ideastore.co.uk/ This one I find quite useful.
I hope you find this useful !
Brian
[color=#0000FF]callbrian[/color]
callbrian

Postby Pootchie » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:46 pm

Hi Lori
I know I posted this 8 years ago but I just found this post because I was bored one night and I was looking up my great grandfather. Ada reeve was my great aunt. My mum knows a bit about that side of the family. I hope you see this cause it would be great to find out stuff together.
Pootchie

Return to General research queries