Moderator Control Panel ]

Rupert Everett

Discuss last year's series of Who Do You Think You Are?, which featured Bruce Forsyth, Dervla Kirwan, Monty Don and six more famous faces as they traced their family trees

Rupert Everett

Postby Matt Elton » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:45 am

Actor Rupert Everett embarks on an emotional genealogical journey following the death of his father in the latest episode from the new series of Who Do You Think You Are?. What did you think? Share your thoughts here...
Matt Elton

Re: Rupert Everett

Postby Loish711 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:27 pm

I found this episode very interesting but couldn't understand why it was claimed Georgina Teague/Everett couldn't be followed after when Cyril was put in the boys home. I found at least 3 records of marriage for a Georgina Everett in the next decade.
Loish711

Postby ksouthall » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:38 pm

I thought this programme was fascinating. Fred certainly seemed to have a girl in every port!
ksouthall

Postby lindarhead » Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:00 pm

I thought the programme was very interesting, but frustrating that Georgina's ancestry wasn't traced, the record of her marriage to Frederick William Cunningham Everett was easily found on the London Banns & Marriages Records on Ancestry.Her father was a George Teague, and he was recorded as Manager. Overall though it was another well put together programme.
Last edited by lindarhead on Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
lindarhead

Postby Emrys » Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:11 pm

Georgina Esther Martha Teague b Marylebone 1863
m Kensington 1883 ...Everett
her parents were Esther Walker b c1830 Islington, Middlesex
& George William Teague b c1831
- Esther & George Teague m Westminster 1859
On 1861 Census George was a Porter & they lived at 10, Molyneux St., Marylebone.
On 1881 Census Esther was a widow & Georgina lived with her.
Emrys

Postby Cadiva » Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:04 pm

Maybe they decided the sailor would be more interesting and so they didn't dig any further or perhaps research along Frederick's line had already turned up more information?
I'm sure there's lots more research gets done that the bits we see on the programme itself.
Cadiva

Postby ksouthall » Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:35 am

Cadiva wrote:Maybe they decided the sailor would be more interesting and so they didn't dig any further or perhaps research along Frederick's line had already turned up more information?
I'm sure there's lots more research gets done that the bits we see on the programme itself.

I agree with Cadiva. They had enough information on Frederick's family to fill the whole programme so did not need to follow Georgina's line.

I think that sometimes it is better to concentrate on one family member or one particular line in depth rather than skimming through all the different branches.
ksouthall

Postby callbrian » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:09 am

Hi.
I agree with the comments regarding concentrating on one family member. It would be disappointing to just skim the surface. I thought the bit with 'Aunt Marguerite' was brilliant, what a character.
I just find it frustrating how all the information is sitting there waiting. If only it was that easy, the research must take ages.
Brian
[color=#0000FF]callbrian[/color]
callbrian

Postby Lizhen » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:52 am

I take the point that there was enough information concerning the male line to fill the programme, but I very much wanted to know what happened to Cyril's mother. His father apparently deserted the family, but why did Cyril end up in a home for little boys at such a tender age....

Did his mother die or was she in such dire straights that she chose to part with Cyril, or did she have no choice... Did I miss something?

If she died, a death certificate could have been found. If she did not, well I understand that you can only include so much in one programme and it was a most interesting one. But a brief mention of Cyril's mother could have been included.

Oh yes, Brian, if only it was that easy!

Lizhen
Lizhen

Postby ksouthall » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:57 am

Lizhen wrote:I take the point that there was enough information concerning the male line to fill the programme, but I very much wanted to know what happened to Cyril's mother. His father apparently deserted the family, but why did Cyril end up in a home for little boys at such a tender age....

Did his mother die or was she in such dire straights that she chose to part with Cyril, or did she have no choice... Did I miss something?

My guess would be Georgina either could not afford to look after Cyril or perhaps she wanted to remarry or settle with someone else who did not want Cyril around.

Another alternative is that Georgina was listed as a dressmaker in one census. I have read somewhere that this was a euphamism for prostitute, although I do not know how true this is. If Georgina was in this line of business, she may not have been able to work with a small child in tow. Perhaps someone else would be able to enlighten us.
ksouthall

Next

Return to 2010 series