Moderator Control Panel ]

Rupert Everett

Discuss last year's series of Who Do You Think You Are?, which featured Bruce Forsyth, Dervla Kirwan, Monty Don and six more famous faces as they traced their family trees

Re: Rupert Everett

Postby MarySue » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:15 am

Well done those of you who have found info on Georgiana, you answered some of questions for us. I haven't had the time to have a look since last night but there are still a lot of unanswered questions which, perhaps, may never be answered.
A great programme once again though with Rupert being so down to earth and interested in what was found. Once again a familiar story in some areas that matched my family and probably many others in that there are several marriages and someone who runs away to sea leaving a young family to cope on their own. Bring on the next programme, can't wait.
MarySue

Postby FamilyHistoryAddict » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:26 am

I absolutely loved this programme; but then I do rather like Rupert Everett - mainly because he isn't of this planet! :lol:

I was hooked from the time they found his grandfather in the Home for Little Boys - who could not be hooked by such a situation?

I loved all the background stuff about Frederick and have made the same journey to Greenwich but I know you normally have to go to TNA first before you go to Greenwich to get the Mariner's number - that's what I was told to do by Greenwich anyway.

But what happened to Georgina Teague? She couldn't have just dropped off the face of the earth. Did she emigrate or die? Perhaps she remarried? But I would have thought all those things would be checkable.

Hubby and I were chortling our heads off at Rupert and the story was good and we haven't had anything about Nigeria before so that was fresh territory.

I thought Rupert (when he wasn't mucking around ;) ) made some wonderful remarks such as talking about 'calcified hearts'. Wonderful turn of phrase.

I've seen Rupert in lots of films but I've always remembered him from a fabulous documentary he did on Lord Byron - shocking but fascinating.

Hope they get more off the wall celebs for WDYTYA. Rupert made a refreshing change. Lots of giggles coming from our living room this evening!

OK, just got some more info:

Someone on another forum has made a good stab at finding Georgina in 1891 and I reckon it is her. The householder or enumerator got her surname badly wrong - should be Everett of course. She's a domestic nurse working in Tunbridge Wells (Kent).

RG12 - Piece 678 - Folio 114 - Page 10

If it is her, she may have been able to visit Cyril if she was working in Kent (days off etc). Don't know if she'd have been able to afford the fare though. Hubby said Tunbridge Wells is only about 25 miles from Darenth, Farningham area.

Perhaps WDYTYA could follow her up. She's also been found on the 1871 census as Teager.

They picked one of the humbler stories from Rupert's background. I believe he is a direct descendant of Charles II (wrong side of the blanket of course). He is also related to Donald McLean (the spy).

I think some people took exception to Rupert describing Georgina as a little dressmaker. I thought he was being kind cos compared to what I was thinking, ;) I was wondering if she was a lady of the night (dressmaker has connotations you know). ;) :lol:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000391/bio

Didn't realise Draper's Assistants also were regarded as good time gals! Wink We got that snippet from Bruce's story.

I thought Rupert was having great fun imagining the kind of lives his relatives had - he wasn't always correct of course ;) and Merchant Seamen aren't navvies! :lol: Think he was getting Seamen and Navy confused with navvies! :lol:

Cheers, FHA
FamilyHistoryAddict

Postby Emmeline » Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:24 pm

I thought it was a fascinating story but, like others, wondered what had happened to Georgina. Whilst I realise that they wanted to concentrate on Frederick, it seemed a huge loose thread was left hanging. Also, had she died before he married Florence or did he marry bigamously? Overall, it was a thoroughly enjoyable episode.

I'm rather disturbed to read about the dressmaker connotations - my tree is full of dressmakers! :shock: :?
Emmeline

Postby FamilyHistoryAddict » Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:01 pm

It seems that Georgina living in Tunbridge Wells was not Georgina Everett after all - see this:

Births Sep 1865
LETHERSICH Georgina Esther Edmonton 3a 131

Cheers, FHA
FamilyHistoryAddict

Postby Lesley P » Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:37 pm

I've got, or rather hubby has, a whole family of dressmakers in the tree! They were his grandmother's sisters, who lived in Cambridge, and I'm sure that's exactly what they were. :)
Lesley P

Postby ksouthall » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:24 am

I also have dressmakers in my family tree. Some would have been dressmakers but others were prostitutes. They could hardly put "prostitute" as their occupation on the census though, could they? If a whole household of apparently unrelated females were listed as dressmakers, I have been told this could mean they were running a brothel.

Can't remember where I read this though. Perhaps FHA can help out on this?
ksouthall

Postby Lizhen » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:35 am

Oh dear! I also have dressmakers in various families, but I know they were all "respectable"! :) I have a vague memory of reading that milliners were also sometimes associated with prostitution. Poor girls if they were genuinely what they were supposed to be....

I see I'm not alone in wanting to know what happened to Georgina. I also wondered if the second marriage may have been bigamous if she was still alive.... and what happened to the second wife.

But I'm particularly interested in Georgina and why Cyril was put in the home at such a tender age. Although it sounded a good home, nothing like the workhouses and such places where children were placed. Rupert Everett obviously felt deeply about it so I wonder if there is information that never made it into the programme.
Lizhen

Postby ksouthall » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:34 am

I suspect that Georgina was unable to get work with a small child in tow and that is why Cyril ended up in the home. If she worked in service, most employers would not want to take her on as there would have been no one to look after Cyril. Perhaps it would be worth finding out whether or not Georgina's mother, Esther, had died so was unable to help her out with childcare.

Either that or Georgina wanted to remarry and her new husband did not want to take on someone else's child. I would have thought that would have been quite unusual at that time so perhaps she was claiming to be unmarried for whatever reason. Who knows if it will ever be possible to find out?
ksouthall

Postby ispalmer » Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:43 pm

Great episode - but it also left me wondering what happened to Cyril's mother Georgina, and why she left him in a Home for Little Boys. Does anyone know?
ispalmer

Postby FamilyHistoryAddict » Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:16 pm

Presumably because she couldn't support him once she was deserted by her husband. However we can't seem to trace Georgina on the 1891 census so she either remarried, died or emigrated.

Cheers, FHA
FamilyHistoryAddict

PreviousNext

Return to 2010 series