Moderator Control Panel ]

confused owen family

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Re: confused owen family

Postby kandbc » Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:28 pm

I enjoyed your attitude about your family and it's name changes. Curious, isn't it, and would be interesting to know why. Perhaps Alfred wasn't quite right when he returned from the war. :) I did not know that Louisa had 2 children and presumably out of wedlock nor do I know anything about her death and when - sounds like an interesting story if you'd like to share it. I have conflicting death years for Martha - died at age 76 (1936), also cousin Evelyn said she died in 1931. In the FreeCenBMD there is a marriage registered in June 1881 at Oswestry between Martha Owen and Thomas Owen; at Genes Reunited there is a marriage registered at Ludlow Sept. 1880 - possibly one of these is our Martha and she actually did marry the father of her first two children. :) Martha had 4 siblings - Emily Jane (b.1864, married Thomas Holding and had 5 children), Mary (m. to a Hughes), Edward, and Annie (died young). Have you been able to confirm Martha's parentage with certificates? Cheers, K
BTW I'm having a dreadful time trying to post - my password is always declined even when I set up a new one ... terribly frustrating. Have a good weekend.
kandbc

Postby pattie » Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:52 pm

Hi
I don't want to keep you lingering for information even though this reply my be short and sweet.

When Martha married Thomas she was definitely a spinster because I purchased the certificate as soon as I found the wedding. I believe Louisa may have had more children but sadly there are none living now but it was 1 of her sons that attended the inquest into her death at the hospital (asylum) that she had spent many years before her accident there.

Both Alfred and Louisa's birth certificates are fatherless hence the use of Martha's maiden name, it can be a bit confusing because Alfred and Louisa adopt their stepfathers name for a while, although Louisa's children are given their fathers name, and I have been reassured that although Louisa may have used the last name of 1 of the fathers, they never actually married.

Do you know of these siblings because I found them all with Martha's j parents, they are as I have found to Edward and Ann (although there are some christenings for some but not others. and at the moment no birth certificates found even though I have been to look).
Mary 1851, William 1853, Sarah 1848, Emma 1864, Alice m Owen 1864( granddaughter), Elizabeth?, Thomas Owen 1872 (grandson), Edward Thomas 1871, ada1871 (granddaughter), Annie 1869.
1 of the grandchildren belongs to Mary I have that certificate and when I find it out I will let you know which 1.
Edward Thomas was in the ww1 he comes home and marries and has children of his own, he moved to the Yorkshire area which I think was to do with his work on the railways
I am going to do more checks and see if I can find these births somewhere, it took 3 years of searching for Martha's baptism but new information on sites is always being added.

Did you know that both Martha and Thomas served time in prison for neglect of a little girl who was pretentiously starved to death, they received hard labour in 1890-91round about the time her father died in the work house, I am still to find out what happened to her mother, I cannot find another marriage for her.

I have a death certificate for Martha and I will check it for you her daughter is the informant and Evelyn is probably right it could be 1931 although I do remember that her daughter had It altered later but I cannot just remember why.
So if its not to rude to ask, Canada, you moved there or another family member did?. The reason I ask is because a lady once told me she was related (I believe she is) but that the Owen family never left Shropshire so I said well im living proof they did.
You have a good weekend too, although I may put some more info on for you during that time.
Cheers P
pattie

Postby kandbc » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:21 pm

Hi, are you still working on the Owen Family? if so, can we talk. :)
kandbc

Postby kandbc » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:25 pm

Patti, if you're still here would you let me know. I've been away from genealogy for a few years but back to researching the Owen family. K
kandbc

Postby pattie » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:55 pm

Hi Kathy

I always knew that I had family members abroad, although i've never flown in my life or left England. But I was told that we had relatives in Australia, I haven't actually found any yet. As I said I feel very sad at the fact I have no family photos of ancestors.

I did look well into Martha's second lot of children's life's, to see if they married and had family's of their own, is that how you come to be living in Canada.

Its been a while since we were in touch that i am trying to go over all the forum to recap. I don't come on here very often, hence the reason its taken me a while to reply. If there is something I can help you with I will try.
I hope you are well and await to hear from you soon hopefully.

With kind wishes Pattie
pattie

Postby kandbc » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:32 am

Patti, I'm so pleased we were able to connect. Your earlier post has so much information in it. To begin with my grandma was Beatrice Pritchard (I've never found or known a middle name for her), daughter of Martha Owen and Thomas Pritchard; she was born Oct. 1893 at Wellington; came to Canada in 1912, married a Scotsman, and had one child who is my father.
I was intrigued to read that Martha and Thomas had been in prison for neglect of a little girl (starvation ? oh my). Out of curiosity, how were you able to learn this and that Martha's dad died in the workhouse and Louisa dying in an asylum - your research is incredible.
Have you ever been able to establish who were the parents of Thomas Pritchard or follow the Owen line further than Edward and Ann (Martha's parents)? I must admit that I am most curious to learn more about Louisa dying in an Asylum.
By the way, I am in touch with the family of Emily Jane Owen , born 1864 (Martha's sister) who married a Thomas Houlding in 1889 at Wem.
We have lots to talk about. Cheers, Kathy
kandbc

Previous

Return to General research queries