Moderator Control Panel ]

2021 Census?

Share your thoughts with your fellow family historians – and the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine team – here

2021 Census?

Postby Annie08 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:30 pm

I thought I heard something last week about the 2011 Census next year possibly being the last one. Has anyone else heard this? I do hope not for our descendants sake. If this is the case I shall have to put my own plans into use and start my 'own private census' for 'consenting members only' of my family and keep my own version. What do others think?

Annie08
Annie08

Re: 2021 Census?

Postby Guy » Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:37 pm

Yes you are correct it has been suggested that the 2011 census may be the last

To some of us the writing was on the wall a while ago, it was pretty obvious that the census was not going to last much longer if at all.
I wrote the following in 2002- sorry.

Genbrit mailing list – Subject Re: 2011 UK Census – Date : Sat, 05 Jan 2002 13:59:13

"It is possible that the 2011 census will be cancelled as there are far
more convenient ways now for the government to gain such data, if there
is a 2011 census it will almost certainly be the last.
Cheers
Guy"
As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.
Guy

Postby Annie08 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:49 pm

Thanks Guy

Thought I didn't imagine hearing something. I didn't see the mailing back in 2002 (wasn't as converse in the subject then as I am now). Still perhaps something new will come out of the old in the end - you never know.

Annie08
Annie08

Postby Guy » Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:32 pm

One such piece of legislation is the European Council (Framework) Census Regulation. Approved by the European Parliament on 20 February 2008.
This has to be compiled from census or alternative sources such as surveys and registers, etc.
The topics which are specified by the Regulation cover:

* Place of usual residence
* Size of locality of usual residence (urban/rural)
* Sex
* Economic activity status
* Occupation
* Industry
* Employment status
* Workplace
* Educational attainment
* Country of birth
* Country of citizenship
* Ever resided abroad and year of entry into country
* Place of usual residence 1 year before census
* Relationship within household
* Status within household
* Status within family
* Type of housing arrangement
* Tenure status of household
* Type of household
* Size of household
* Type of family
* Size of family
* Type of living quarters
* Type of ownership
* Location of living quarters
* Occupancy status
* Floor space/Number of rooms
* Density standard of accommodation
* Housing amenities (water supply, toilet facilities, bathing facilities, type of heating)
* Type of dwelling
* Period of construction

Cheers
Guy
As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.
Guy

Postby Twincol » Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:05 am

Hello, Annie08, Guy

Hmmmm, Annie, your own "family census"? WOW, a good idea. But how do you propose to put it together? Perhaps utilize current census format, questions? And then storage? Online with access to all consenting members, or no? And then "privacy"? If no to broad access, how to protect privacy? I'm 63YO; who to pass it along to? How far "wide" do you hope to go?

I have family on both sides of The Pond. The British side includes family I haven't even yet met, but expect to in March 2011 when I visit England. Oh my, privacy?! My British side includes descendants in Australia, who might be encouraged to participate by their family, I suppose.

What a dilemma!!

Linda (on the other side of The Pond)
Twincol

Return to Genealogy chat