Moderator Control Panel ]

Painted Portraits

Have you got problems identifying people or buildings in a photograph? Share your photo queries with other users

Painted Portraits

Postby Byron130 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:31 am

Alice Simpson.jpg
Alice Simpson.jpg (58.04 KiB) Viewed 947 times
Janetta Simpson.jpg
Janetta Simpson.jpg (51.15 KiB) Viewed 947 times

A few years ago I was reunited with a long lost relative who had these 2 painted portraits of our ancestors. I now have colour copies hanging in my home, but I would love to have more of an idea of an actual date for them.

The lady with the red hair is my maternal great grandmother Alice Morley (nee Simpson) born in Bradford on 20th August 1893 and the dark haired lady is her mother Janetta (Jane) Simpson (nee Broom) born on 2nd March 1851 in Dudley.

From my research I found the husband, William Simpson (born approx 1857 in Durham), hanged himself on 1st January 1909 and and there was another daughter Elizabeth born in 1891 (no other children were ever born) but I have no knowledge if either of these people had a portrait done.

The reason I would like to put a date to the pictures is because, until I was shown them, I believed this family to be quite poor (the girls worked in a woollen mill and the father was a miner) and I can't understand how they would have the means to pay for portraits like this, or even how expensive they would have been.

If anyone could help me find a date, place or estimate of what would have been paid for them I would be very grateful.

Faye Vaughan
Byron130

Return to Photo identification