Moderator Control Panel ]

Lunatic Asylum Records

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Lunatic Asylum Records

Postby esmi73 » Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:10 am

[font="microsoft sans serif"]Dear All[/font]
[font="microsoft sans serif"][/font]
[font="microsoft sans serif"]Hopefully, someone can help. [/font]
[font="microsoft sans serif"][/font]
[font="microsoft sans serif"]I have been struggling to obtain information in relation to my GGGG Grandfather William Smith b. approx. 1853 Birmingham Warwichshire. [/font] I have recently obtained his death certificate which states that he died on 9th April 1922 in a Lunatic Asylum in Hatton.

I am despirate to find out his date of birth in the hope that it will take me to the next generation.

Anyway as the death certificate of 1922 does not give a date of birth or any other records I was wondering if it is possible to actually obtain copies of the medical records from the Asylum and how I would actually go about obtaining them. I would love to know why he was actually there. His death certificate just stateds that he died from central softening which I am assuming could have been a heart attack.

I would be soooo grateful for any help.

Many thanks
Emma x
esmi73

RE: Lunatic Asylum Records

Postby FamilyHistoryAddict » Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:43 am

Hello Esmi,

I have obtained many lunatic asylum records but I need a bit more info. Is Hatton in Warwickshire - is it near Birmingham? Is so you need to contact Birmingham Record Office I would imagine and ask if they hold the records. Difficult to answer your question without a bit more geographical information.

I would have thought general softening might have referred to his brain rather than his heart.

[align=left][b]Softening of the Brain:[/b]
Cerebral haemorrhage/stroke[/align][align=left] [/align][align=left]I would suggest contacting either of these archives since I'm not sure where Hatton is:[/align][align=left] [/align][align=left][link=http://www.warwickshire.gov.uk/countyrecordoffice]http://www.warwickshire.gov.uk/countyrecordoffice[/link][/align][align=left] [/align][align=left][link=http://www.birmingham.gov.uk/GenerateContent?CONTENT_ITEM_ID=7298&CONTENT_ITEM_TYPE=0&MENU_ID=10468&EXPAND=5396]http://www.birmingham.gov.uk/GenerateContent?CONTENT_ITEM_ID=7298&CONTENT_ITEM_TYPE=0&MENU_ID=10468&EXPAND=5396[/link]

Cheers, FHA [/align]
FamilyHistoryAddict

Postby esmi73 » Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:30 am

Yes, sorry Hatton is in Warwickshire. The hospital is now a housing development and as such I have contacted the Warwickshire Records Office who hold the records but as yet I have not received a response from them. Is there any alternative way to obtain them or have I just got to wait for Warickshire Records Office to come back to me.

I have contacted them now on two seperate occasions. Can you also tell me how much it costs to obtain records?

I have also been told that as the records were in 1922 I may not be able to gain access because they have to be 100 years old - is this true.

I am now desperate to locate my GGG Grandfather and find another generation. I know that his father was John Smith but yet again that is another needle in a haystack!

Thanks you anyway for your help!
Esmi x
esmi73

Postby FamilyHistoryAddict » Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:30 am

Searching for asylum records only costs a lot when you don't have much information. You have a date of death which you should supply to them and that will cut research costs somewhat.

If you have an idea which year he was admitted, a visit to the National Archives could give you an admission date, but unless you have a good idea of the year, it could be hard work to pin the date down - especially with a name like Smith.

Why don't you try phoning the record office? Sometimes record offices do take a long time to reply or perhaps they are hunting for the records? If you don't hear within about a fortnight, give them a phone call. You will only be able to obtain them through the record office (if they hold the records) otherwise the records could be with the local health authority.

I've applied for records dating from 1939 and no one has said No to me. If you have a death certificate to prove he is dead, there shouldn't be a problem.

Cheers, FHA
FamilyHistoryAddict

Postby debrapeter1960 » Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:03 am

[hr]Hi
I dont know if I can be of help but I have a copy of the Hatton Asylum Inmates and Staff for 1871. It is a document published by the Warwickshire Family History Society and gives the names, status, occupation etc. of everyone in the Asylum at that date. It may be too early for your ancestor but the society may be able to give you some advice, or sell you other publications. There are a few Smith's noted and one W Smith but he was 57 in 1871.
The address to contact isWarwickshire Family History Society, 7 Mersey Road, Bulkington, Warwicks.
Good Luck!
debrapeter1960

Postby paulberyl » Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:00 am

[size=2]Hatton Asylum[/size] was [size=2]f[font=arial]ounded as Warwick County Lunatic Asylum in 1846 situated in Hatton, Warwick. It became Warwick County Mental Hospital in 1930 under control of the Local Authority. [/font][/size][size=2][font=arial] [/font]
[/size]
[size=2]Records have been deposited with Warwickshire County Record Office at [/size]
[size=2][font=arial][b]Warwickshire County Record Office
[/b][size=2]Priory Park[/size][/font]
[font=arial][size=2]Cape Road[/size][/font]
[font=arial][size=2]Warwick[/size][/font]
[font=arial][size=2]CV34 4JS[/size][/font]

[font=arial][size=2]Tel: +44 (0) 1926 738959[/size][/font]
[font=arial][size=2]Fax: +44 (0) 1926 738969[/size][/font]
[font=arial][size=2][font=arial][size=-1][link=http://www.warwickshire.gov.uk/web/corporate/webmailf.nsf/webmail?openform&recordoffice@warwickshire.gov.uk][/size][/font][u][color=#0000ff]recordoffice@warwickshire.gov.uk[/color][/u][/link][/size][/font] [/size]
[size=2][/size]
[size=2]They may be able to help you.[/size]
[size=2][/size]
[size=2]Paul[/size]
paulberyl

Postby esmi73 » Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:53 pm

[b]Many thanks to you all for your input.[/b]
[b][/b]
[b]Thanks also to[/b] debrapeter1960 but I do think that your records would have been too early as he is on Census records at home then. But thanks anyway.

I will nag the Warwickshire Records Office again!

Thanks
Esmi
esmi73

Postby lindapre2 » Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:26 am

Hi

You note you have records for warwick lunatic asylum 1871. I have 2 family members noted in that in 1871, they are George and Alice Tyler.
Is this something you could help me with please, anything would be great.
Linda
linda
lindapre2

Postby cathyhudd » Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:46 pm

I once read that people were considered lunatics for all sorts of things that we now consider 'normal' promiscurity being the most obvious one.
Looking for information about:- Harpers of Northamptonshire, Warwickshire and Buckinghamshire. Whaymans and Goodings of Suffolk and Essex. Jacques of Leicestershire. Hudds, Pontings and Partridges of Gloucestershire.
cathyhudd

Postby lindapre2 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:46 pm

Hi
you note you have a copy of the Hatton Asylum inmates for 1871. would you be kind enough to let me know what information it gives for George Tyler c.1831 and his wife Alice c.1845, she is from Ireland.

Many Thanks
Linda
linda
lindapre2

Next

Return to General research queries