Moderator Control Panel ]

Susan Sarandon

From Bill Oddie to Ruby Wax, have your say on past episodes of Who Do You Think You Are? here

Susan Sarandon

Postby lesley.mazey » Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:44 pm

Well, I thought the Susan Sarandon Episode last night was the best yet. She was more balanced and less holywood melodrama.

I did find the reaction of her mum interesting - a good example of the need to tread carefully when discussing these things with older people. SS was not worried by the possibility of a scandal with her grandmother (she was almost excited at the prospect) but for her mum it was a different situation.

When SS found that her grandmother had a 2nd life with husband etc she was glad that she found happiness. I am sure her mum would have possibly felt abandoned as her mum had to leave her to find happiness.

So, again a good episode. Bring on the next one!

Lesley.xx
lesley.mazey

Re: Susan Sarandon

Postby Emmeline » Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:01 pm

I thoroughly enjoyed this one and agree with Lesley, it was the best so far. SS came across as very sincere and seemed genuinely happy that her grandmother had found eventual happiness. I wonder whether having married, supposedly bigamously, the second time, whether she actually married for a third time or was just living with him. If she did marry him, was she "divorced" from Ben Kahn?

I really did feel for SS's mother. It clearly still upsets her and learning about her mother's subsequent life must've been very hard to hear. As Lesley says, you do have to tread carefully.
Emmeline

Postby ksouthall » Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:38 am

I agree with the other two posts that Susan Sarandon's programme was very good. I hope her mother has been able to put Anita's life into context more, like Susan did. As Anita was so young when she had her children, plus had had a difficult start in life, perhaps that will help Susan's mother understand her a bit more. I can only guess that perhaps Anita thought her son and daughter would manage without her, in the same way that she "managed" without her mother - or at least, felt she had coped. Perhaps in her own way, she felt her children might be better off without her, as she may have felt unable to cope as a mother. Who knows? Whatever the situation, Anita was still a child herself when she had her children and perhaps Susan's mother had not been previously aware of that.
ksouthall

Postby margaretowen123 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:21 pm

Unfortunately, in the Granada tv region the show was broadcast later than advertised, so I missed it. I will be able to watch it on iplayer but I won't be able to save it on my skybox. Does anybody know if or when it will be repeated? I have searched through the tv listings but and checked the BBC website, but can't find anything?
margaretowen123

Return to Previous series of Who Do You Think You Are?