Moderator Control Panel ]

Tracing: Becker, Antwerp, Belgium

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Tracing: Becker, Antwerp, Belgium

Postby boltzmann69 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:36 pm

Hi All,

I'm trying to find what information I can about my great grandmother. Her name is Marie Caroline Becker born about 1866 in Antwerp. The 1891 census shows her living in Marleybone London with her brother Frank Becker who was born about 1865. she was a dressmaker and he was a tailor. She later married Walter Lepper and moved into Kent.

At the moment that's the only information I have so any help, hints clues would be great as this side of the family I have little info.

I've had a look on the online resources of the Later Day Saints and found nothing, but then again they don't seem very complete. Anyone have "Bevolkingsregister" access?

Thanks,

Paul.
boltzmann69

Re: Tracing: Becker, Antwerp, Belgium

Postby Sylcec » Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:37 pm

Hi Paul
I have used both the Bevolkingsregisters and birth, marriage and death registration documents for Antwerp by getting the films through the LDS FHC.

Suggest that you start with finding a birth registration - the bevolkingsregisters (population registers) are somewhat challenging to use, though wonderful once you get into them.

You need to start with Civil Registration - Geboorten (births). The decennial indexes for 1861-1870 (Tienjarige tafels A-M 1861-1870 ) are on film 669638. The 1866 Geboorten regs are on 680100.

As you have Marie Caroline Becker's marriage presumably you know her father's name, so you could also have a go at looking for her parents marriage: Huwelijken - index on 669642 . Once you have the marriage you can use the reference numbers to access a much more useful set of marriage records called: Huwelijksbijlagen - the marriage supplements which may have certificates for the couple's parents and their own births.

Unfortunately for the time period you are dealing with, the records are going to be in Dutch/Flemish, rather than French, however, there are on-line word lists to help interpret the records and it is fairly easy to pick out the relevant names whatever the language of the joining words!
Good hunting. Sylvia
Sylcec

Postby boltzmann69 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:00 pm

Hi Sylvia and many many thanks for the reply...

Looks as though you're well versed in tracing Belgium ancestry! No, unfortunately I don't know her fathers name, the information I've got to date is just what's been taken of "Ancestry" and the remaining family. If it comes to it I'll buy a copy of the marriage certificate, but I'm interested in seeing what the LDS FHC route yields.

I've no experience of the LDS FHC system at all so any info would be great. I've got one local to me in Canterbury, Kent UK. Would they have viewers, and do they order the necessary films you want to view or would I need to go to the main centre in London? Once you've found any info on film you want to save what can you output it to?

The film/index numbers you gave I wonder where they are available from?

Regards,

Paul.
boltzmann69

Postby Sylcec » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:48 pm

Paul - I'm afraid that I can't answer questions about your local Family History Centres (FHC)their facilities and method of ordering films. I am in Australia and since the start of this year we have had to order and pay for films on-line. However, I don't know what system is in place in the UK. If your local centre is only open once a week for a couple of hours, that is probably an indication that they are too small to have much facilities they would however tell you how to order films. So, you might find the big FHC at Hyde Park better - who knows, they may even have the films you want.

It occurs to me that your other option might be to actually go to Antwerp and use the archives there!

I do suggest that you purchase a copy of the marriage certificate for your gt grandparents from the GRO: Sept qtr 1899, Strood, vol.2a, p.1255. This will give you the fathers' names. You can order certificates through here: http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/
Good hunting!
Sylvia
Sylcec

Postby boltzmann69 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:10 pm

Hi Sylvia,

After I posted yesterday I ordered the marriage certificate so hopefully that'll arm me with a bit more info. I plan on visiting a couple of WW1 graves in Northern France so should it come to it the Belgium trip might be an option.
Many thanks for the advice and I'll update on my progress.

Paul.
boltzmann69

Postby Sylcec » Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:25 am

Paul - I will be interested in following your progress in this research.

For background, about 12 years ago I discovered that I had an artist ancestor in India who had been born in Antwerp. As I have a good LDS FHC not far from home and was already used to ordering in films, it was a logical step to search the F.H. Library catalog for records from Antwerp. Most earlier records are in French which I can manage and from about 1830 or so in Dutch/Flemish - fortunately I have a friend who could help with these. Using microfilmed records I have been able to get back to at least 1753 on the artist's direct male line and earlier on some other lines, using parish registers for other towns and villages in East and West Flanders.

I did have the opportunity in 2001 when visiting England to take a side trip to Antwerp and went to the Archives. Unfortunately at that time none of the staff seemed to speak English, so didn't get far. Nevertheless I enjoyed my visit and Antwerp is certainly a beautiful old city of character.

So, you should feel optimistic about the research opportunities for your Beckers!
Sylvia
Sylcec

Postby boltzmann69 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:51 am

Well I done a bit more digging and came across the marriage/Banns record for her brother, Frank Joseph Becker. Not sure how I missed it before!!! Anyway, the father shares the same name as the son and is listed as deceased on the certificate. His occupation was a florist. I think he might of died reasonably young and I wonder if it had any bearing on Frank and Marie coming to England? Interestingly one of the witness signatures is a Sibilla Becker, which of course could be the mother or another sister or just a big coincidence! I couldn't find Sibilla on any of the census records around the time so perhaps she was a visitor from Belgium. It's given me a bit more info to go on and hopefully Marie's certificate will confirm all this, then it'll be the LDS route I think.

I wonder if Sibilla will make another appearance on Marie's certificate.....?

Paul.
boltzmann69

Postby Vero » Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:32 pm

Hi, i am aware this is an old post. I tried to reply, i believe on Paul's post on rootsweb message boards but got an error, so i copy& paste the text here. If you haven't already found the birth-records of:

Maria Carolina Beckers birth-record number 230 of year 1866
& (half?) brother Francois Joseph record nbr. 305 of year 1865.
Found via family search: Index (Tienjarige tafels 1861-1870).

Birth record of Maria #230 in year 1866 (Geboorten 1866):

[*]birthdate 18/01/1865, born at 19u30/ 7.5 in the evening, recorddate 20/01.
[*]unlawful daughter of Sibilla Beckers, age 31, dressmaker, born in Treves, Prussia.
[*]Address in Antwerp: Kl... (cant read) N°119, Section 3.
[*]Witnesses Henricus Brown, decoration painter, age 23
+ Michaël De Hert, coachman, age 24, both living in Antwerp.
[*]Only Sibilla stated she could not write, the witnesses singed.

Birthrecord #305/1865 of Franc (Geboorten 1865):

[*]birthdate 24/01/1865, born at 18u/ 6 in the evening, recorddate 25/01.
[*]unlawful son of Sibilla Beckers, age 30, dressmaker, born in Treves, Prussia.
[*]Address in Antwerp: Bergstraat N°14, Section 4.
[*]Witnesses Josephus Verhaegen, gardener, age 28, living in Berchem,Antwerp.
+ Cornelis Van Coxkenberghe, housepainter, age 52, living in Antwerp.
[*]Only the first witness Joseph could write & singed.

When Belgians wanted to marry before age 25, they always needed permission from both parents, so i believe the mother must have been present. If both parents were deceased, at least one grandparent had to witness, otherwise other family members who had custody over the "minor".

File data: Sibilla/Sibylle/Sybilla Becker, born in 1834 in Trier, Prussia, Seamstress, her salary goes up to one franc a day plus food. Last official address abroad: (Trier?), Prussia Brückenstrasse N°... (no N°). Address in Antwerp: Rue de la montagne N°4,Section4. She arrived 12/02/1864 in Brussels, and 14/11/1864 in Antwerp. She carried as official documents a proof of change of address from Brussels, dated 14/11/1864 and another document of 5/03/1864 i believe of address registration/movement in Brussels. Filedate: 19/11/1864.

Her parents:
George, born in Tachit?, Prussia, died in (Trèves/Trier?) at age 66
and
Suzanne (Schwickrata/Schurekrata??), born in Backendorf? Prussia and died in Trier at age of 61.
Note on the side next to where normal a husband& children would be mentioned is written 'in Boulogne,on sea,France, review on 20/08/1868' (but i don't know what this means? maybe she left (before) that date to Bologne(?) Not sure!)

source of the alienfile of Sibilla:
cityarchive FELIXARCHIVE in Antwerp:
(copy& paste link): //zoeken.felixarchief.be/zHome/Home.aspx?f=100&inv=2962
[*](look at the long, dark blue bar)
[*]1st select in the first column: 'FAMILIENAAM' (Surname)
[*]2nd 'BEVAT' (contains) and
[*]3rd type a piece of a surname + Enter

General sources for any B/M/D records in Belgium
AFTER 1800 to +-1913 (privacy laws) via familysearch:
> login on familysearch
> Select above 'Records'
> Select below (right) 'Browse all published collections'
> Select 'Continental Europe'
> Select 'België / Belgium'

>>First research on Google in which arrondissement (administrative division) or Provincie/ Province the birthcity is located. Example: Borgerhout = Antwerp

Then go back to familysearch and select:
> Belgium, Antwerp, Civil Registration, 1588-1913
> see below ! 'View Images in this Collection'
> select: 'Browse through 3,208,809 images'
> then look for your needed birthcity/link.

If you know the birthdate, select 'geboorten' (Births) +the right year.
If you don't have an exact date, you first need to look at the indexes called 'Tienjarige tafels' (per 10 years).

[In Dutch: births= Geboorten, marriage= Huwelijken, deaths= Overlijdens]

(copy& paste link): //search.arch.be/en/themas/tips/507-church-registers-en

Via above archive you can also randomly try to 'search for persons' (zoek naar personen) with only a name to see what namesakes& cities in Belgium comes up, but note that not everyone is describted yet:
(copy& paste link): //search.arch.be/en/zoeken-naar-personen/zoekresultaat/q/persoon_achternaam_t_0/Beckers%20/q/persoon_voornaam_t_0/Fran%2A%20Jos%2A/q/zoekwijze/s?M=0&V=0&O=0&persoon_0_periode_geen=0&sort=akte_datum&direction=asc

Hope this may help someone on the way.
Attachments
Birthrecord Franciscus Becker.jpg
Birthrecord Franciscus Beckers
Birthrecord Franciscus Becker.jpg (650.57 KiB) Viewed 789 times
Birthrecord Maria Beckers.jpg
Birthrecord Maria Beckers
Birthrecord Maria Beckers.jpg (630.96 KiB) Viewed 789 times
Vero

Return to General research queries