Moderator Control Panel ]

Kennel Hall Farm, Howe Green, Essendon

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Kennel Hall Farm, Howe Green, Essendon

Postby ksouthall » Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:24 am

Hello,

I know this is a longshot, but I have a photo taken by my dad in 1953. It says the following on the back:

"H. S. Routledge, Kennel Hall Farm, Howe Green, Nr Essendon, Herts".

I have no idea who Mr Routledge was or what his connection with my family, if any, was.
If either his name or that of the farm means anything to you, I would love to hear from you.

Thanks,
Katherine
ksouthall

Re: Kennel Hall Farm, Howe Green, Essendon

Postby ksouthall » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:29 am

Since Ancestry have updated their phone directories, I have found "H S Routledge" at Kennel Hall Farm in Howe Green, Essendon, Hertfordshire between 1956 and 1972.
I have still not discovered what his initials stood for so if anyone has him in their family tree, please let me know as I have a copy of a photograph of him.
ksouthall

Postby phsvm » Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:23 pm

How old does Mr Routledge look in the photo? There's a birth registration for a Herbert Stanley Routledge in 1898 in Edmonton.

Although Edmonton is Middlesex and Essendon, Hertfordshire they're not very far apart. I haven't however, been able to find any trace of a young Herbert in either the 1901 or 1911 census or a death so I don't know where he went.
phsvm

Postby ksouthall » Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:02 pm

Thanks for posting a reply. I have just picked it up as we were away for a few days.

Mr Routledge looks like he could be in his 50s in the photo, which is hopefully attached to this post.

As well as the Herbert Stanley Routledge found by phsvm, I've found a Stanley Hope Routledge, aged about 4, in the 1911 Census. He was born in St Pancras and was living with his widowed father, who was a house painter, and his older brother who was a confectioner.

It's hard to know if the initials should be "H S" or "S H". He appears as "H S" in the phone directories but he could have swapped his initials around. I've had a look at the electoral rolls on FindMyPast but have not found anything at the right address. I will try the marriage records for "H S Routledge" and see in anything comes up that way.
Attachments
1953, H S Routledge, Kennel Hall Farm, Howe Green, Nr Essendon, Herts.jpg
1953, H S Routledge, Kennel Hall Farm, Howe Green, Nr Essendon, Herts.jpg (76.29 KiB) Viewed 2350 times
ksouthall

Postby phsvm » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:49 am

The photo is interesting. It's not a 'posed' photo but more one taken of a 'working' environment with the individual looking as if he 'belongs' rather than being a visitor.

Why not try contacting the NFU (National Farmers Union) and see if they can give you any help? They may know about ownership of the farm. The farming community tend to be fairly static so some of the older members may well be able to help.

http://www.nfuonline.com/about-us/our-o ... fordshire/
phsvm

Postby ksouthall » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:07 pm

Thanks for the tip. I'll let you know if I have any luck.
ksouthall

Postby Sue66 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:58 pm

My father's sister married Hugh Routledge from i believe Carlisle Cumbria they lived in a farm called Kennel Hall remember spending summer holidays there in mid 60s sure it was Hatfield or Hertford
Sue66

Postby Mick Loney » Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:21 pm

Sue66,
Your memory serves you well, Essendon is about 3 miles East of Hatfield.
The prevoius posts just highlights how our ‘educated’ guesses can be wildly out! :D
Mick Loney

Postby Sue66 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:30 pm

Uncle Hugh was a very tall man and in 1953 would have been about in his 30s his wife Liz ran farm and he drove an HGV for someone we went to Bournville to deliver something??The farm was up a long driveway past other houses one of which had an outdoor swimming pool.
Sue66

Postby ksouthall » Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:34 am

Sue66 wrote:Uncle Hugh was a very tall man and in 1953 would have been about in his 30s his wife Liz ran farm and he drove an HGV for someone we went to Bournville to deliver something??The farm was up a long driveway past other houses one of which had an outdoor swimming pool.

Hello Sue,

Does the man in the photo look like your uncle? Do you know what his middle name was?

My dad had put H. S Routledge on the photo.

Katherine
ksouthall

Next

Return to General research queries