Moderator Control Panel ]

August issue

Whether you've enjoyed a recent issue of Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine or have a query about the bonus content, let us know

August issue

Postby Matt Elton » Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:56 am

Hello everyone!

The new August issue should be hitting the shelves any day now - does anyone already have their copy? We'd love to hear what you think of the magazine...

Matt
Matt Elton

Re: August issue

Postby malverntrail » Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:37 am

Magazine duly arrived this morning. Straight to the CD to check out Wales Pigot directory as it includes South Wales. I'm mainly interested in the area around Brecon at that date (1835) but did notice that South Wales directory cuts off part way through Swansea - Tenby pages missing. (I did a quick compare with 1830 Pigots which came in Feb 2009 issue, the first one I bought, no such problem there.)

There have been quite a lot of articles of relevance to me in the mag this year. One "money saving" tip (sort of) to add to the last issue's round-up - read ALL the articles in each issue as you never know when an example/case study will touch on your line of interest, or the odd aside might throw new light on a marginally related subject.

One niggle - can you find better software for the CD as I can barely read the text, and there doesn't appear to be any accessibility options.

John Howes
malverntrail

Postby margaretabram » Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:25 am

Sometimes I wonder why I spend so much money on magazine subscriptions. Now I know! The August issue alerted me to the India Office records on www.familysearch.org. I have been trying to find further information on my husband's great grandfather, who was born in Madras, for a long time without much success. I found his birth date and baptism and that of his brother; his parents' marriage and the fact that his great great grandmother was a widow when she married his great great grandfather at the age of 23. I also found her first marriage. I found the names of her parents and the name of her second husband's father. This was all in the 30 minutes you promised: "30-Minute Genealogist"! A brick wall has been broken down and another generation added to the family tree.
Mags
margaretabram

Postby ksouthall » Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:19 pm

Still waiting for my August issue to arrive. I am a bit worried as it would normally have arrived a few days before the magazine goes on the sale in the shops. What should I do if it hasn't arrived by Friday?
ksouthall

Postby Matt Elton » Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:44 am

Katherine - Sorry to hear you haven't received your copy yet. If you haven't heard anything by the end of the week, drop me a line at mattelton@bbcmagazines.com and I'll do some chasing up for you.

Malverntrail – I'm glad that there's been plenty in the magazine to inspire your research this year! I've passed on your comments about our cover disc to our technical team.

Margaret - great to hear that the new 30-Minute Genealogist is proving useful. FamilySearch.org certainly offers a huge resource to explore...
Matt Elton

Postby ksouthall » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:43 pm

mattelton wrote:Katherine - Sorry to hear you haven't received your copy yet. If you haven't heard anything by the end of the week, drop me a line at mattelton@bbcmagazines.com and I'll do some chasing up for you.

Thanks Matt. My copy arrived today. Haven't had much chance to read it yet though.
Katherine
ksouthall

Postby Falkyrn » Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:28 am

With regard to the Article "Northern Irish Ancestors" pages 22 & 23

Heading 2 "Start in England" - while I realise that the majority of your contributors live or originate from England it does not necessarily mean that all of us do.

The advice should surely have been "Start Closer to Home" - I have Northern Irish ancestry many of whom have since spread around the world without ever setting foot in England.

Please remember that you are a UK magazine with a worldwide circulation.

RJ Paton
~RJP~
Falkyrn

Postby Matt Elton » Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:34 am

Hi Falkyrn,

You're right – the first two steps can be done online, regardless of whether you're in Wells or Washington. A heading of 'Start at home' would perhaps have been better.

Hope you found the feature useful, in any case...

Matt
Matt Elton

Postby Falkyrn » Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:45 pm

Matt
Hi Falkyrn,

You're right – the first two steps can be done online, regardless of whether you're in Wells or Washington. A heading of 'Start at home' would perhaps have been better.

Matt

As far as it went the article forms a reasonable base to start your research from and were the very steps I went through while battering against my Irish brick walls .... additions to it could have included

1) If any of their children were born in Scotland Scottish birth records had the details of when and where the parents were married - you may be lucky and find that they were married in Ireland.

2) Poor Law records - if your ancestors were unfortunate enough to have to apply for assistance the records were very detailed

Fortunately I was very lucky in that my great grandfather and his brother both died at very young ages in Scotland and my great great grandmother travelled over from Ireland to be the informant at her 2nd sons death signing the register and providing her address.

RJ Paton
~RJP~
Falkyrn

Return to Magazine chat