Moderator Control Panel ]

Your Old Books On Line..was it a con?, No just a breakdown.

Share your thoughts with your fellow family historians – and the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine team – here

Your Old Books On Line..was it a con?, No just a breakdown.

Postby pre1837 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:21 pm

Having joined the Your Books on Line as recomended on this site and in the Magazine, where has the site gone to? Was it a con? I nor Google can no longer find it using the original address. Having paid my subs, what has happed to the site?

I have now found the same site listed on my RBS WorldPay a/c with a different address. It permits me to log in and then offers to SELL me any of the lists/books that I joined the site to be able to access on line.

What is going on?
Last edited by pre1837 on Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Interested in the surname SNELL circa 1910, Middlesex. and Claudia Vail nee Snell, living and married in Canada from about 1912/16.

Any information is Crown Copyright, from http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"
pre1837

Re: Your Old Books On Line..was it a con?

Postby youroldbooksandmaps » Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:15 am

pre1837 wrote:Having joined the Your Books on Line as recomended on this site and in the Magazine, where has the site gone to? Was it a con? I nor Google can no longer find it using the original address. Having paid my subs, what has happed to the site?

Due to a server fail the site is currently not available. Existing customers can contact us and we will provide the required data by other means.
A notice will be on the page shortly.

pre1837 wrote:I have now found the same site listed on my RBS WorldPay a/c with a different address. It permits me to log in and then offers to SELL me any of the lists/books that I joined the site to be able to access on line.

What is going on?

You obviously do not buy the magazine because if you did, you would know who we are and what we provide. The Your Books Online website was/is part of Your Old Books & Maps as I am certain you are aware.

Please contact me with details of your account.

Your Old Books & Maps
youroldbooksandmaps

Re: Your Old Books On Line..was it a con?

Postby pre1837 » Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:10 am

Thank you for your prompt reply. Yes I do subscribe to the mag and have since the beginning. I was rather taken back when I found so many different address on the site, on my invoices etc, and when I found the 'Books for sale' site, which DID ask for and accept my 'log on', and still nothing happened, I began to get very suspicious. Look forward to you being back on line. Perhaps as WDYTYA? promoted the site, a message could have been posted earlier?
Interested in the surname SNELL circa 1910, Middlesex. and Claudia Vail nee Snell, living and married in Canada from about 1912/16.

pre1837

Re: Your Old Books On Line..was it a con?, No just a breakdown.

Postby pre1837 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:38 pm

Still not on line. How much longer will this take?

pre1837

Postby youroldbooksandmaps » Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:45 pm

As long as it takes to find a new server with the right specification, at the right price - then upload the site backup of over 80 GB of data.
It will be a while.

Meanwhile, if you, or other subscribers require anything, just ask.
youroldbooksandmaps

Postby pre1837 » Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:16 pm

youroldbooksandmaps wrote:As long as it takes to find a new server with the right specification, at the right price - then upload the site backup of over 80 GB of data.
It will be a while.

Meanwhile, if you, or other subscribers require anything, just ask.

A month now.

What about a refund?
pre1837

Return to Genealogy chat