Moderator Control Panel ]

Brilliant programme

From Bill Oddie to Ruby Wax, have your say on past episodes of Who Do You Think You Are? here

Brilliant programme

Postby colliehouse » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:56 am

I watched the long awaited programme on Sarah Jessica Parker last night and I think it was one of the best I have seen. I haven't watched the programmes she has been in so her 'celebrity status' did not influence me.
It was fascinating to watch the historical information but what struck me most was the difference it makes to have a subject who was so enthusiastic. Looking back it was clear that the best programmes have all involved people who shared their excitement.
Lets hope we get many more soon.
colliehouse

Re: Brilliant programme

Postby Editor » Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:17 am

I'm sorry that our coverage didn't quite time with the showing of the programme. We didn't get enough warning about when it was going to air. We watched the episode as a team which was great fun. I hope they show more of the US series and I also hope that we get some of the Aussie series which is also really good. I don't think you need to know anything about the celebrity to enjoy WDYTYA, as you say, it is about how the celebrity connects to the discoveries and the journey that is important.

Sarah
Editor
Site Admin

Postby lesley.mazey » Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:18 pm

I enjoyed the programme also. Mind you, a lot of that was due to it being a long time since the last new series in UK.

However, SJP did little to assuage my belief that US "stars" are 2 dimensional. Every 2 or 3 mins something was "un-be-lieve-able!" I found it a little irritating but not enough to stop me watching. Now I cannot wait until September when WDYTYA UK returns!
lesley.mazey

Postby ksouthall » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:15 pm

lesley.mazey wrote:I enjoyed the programme also. Mind you, a lot of that was due to it being a long time since the last new series in UK.

However, SJP did little to assuage my belief that US "stars" are 2 dimensional. Every 2 or 3 mins something was "un-be-lieve-able!" I found it a little irritating but not enough to stop me watching. Now I cannot wait until September when WDYTYA UK returns!

I agree that the programme was very interesting. I did not know much about the Gold Rush or Salem Witch Trials before.

Mind you, I also found the "un-BEEEEE-lievables" and "Oh MYYYY Gods" quite irritating.
ksouthall

Postby Editor » Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:16 am

You won't have to wait until September for the new UK series. Looks like it is going to be July now. See our next issue (on sale 13 July) for a new series preview.

S
Editor
Site Admin

Postby sawyerfamilyhistory » Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:50 pm

Who Do You Think You Are USA

Episode 2 with Brooke Shields

On Sky planner as being shown Sunday 5th July at 21:15pm
sawyerfamilyhistory

Postby ksouthall » Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:57 pm

I've just checked the BBC website and the previous poster is correct that the Brooke Shields episode will be shown on BBC1 next Sunday 4th July at 9.15pm.
ksouthall

Postby Matt Elton » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:45 am

Good spot, Sawyerfamilyhistory and Katherine! It's true – BBC One is currently scheduled to be showing Brooke Shields' episode this Sunday, 4 July. I'll be updating the site later on this morning.

All the best,

Matt
Matt Elton

Postby bodgerroots » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:12 am

I agree the US history slant is interesting (I have a lot of emigrant ancestors in the US), but I hope the rest of the celebs are slightly less OTT with the wows, unbelievables and oh my Gods than Jessica was, her interrupting with loud exclamations did distract a little from the information that was being shown. It shows the difference between the British and American stars, the Brits were quieter and more laid back, but no less excited or moved and emotional about it all for that.
bodgerroots

Postby Zoe_Z » Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:12 pm

I have to agree with all of you. Sarah Jessica Parker's exclamations were a bit grating on the nerves. This American would prefer to see smiles and emotions rather than hear relentless "un-be-liev-able" and "Oh my god" expressions bursting forth every few seconds. I was surprised she didn't throw in equal numbers of "Amazing!" and "Absolutely", two of the most used words in the American vocabulary. :shock:

The Gold Rush and the Salem Witch Trials were interesting, especially since I, too, have a "witch" in my ancestry.
Zoe_Z

Next

Return to Previous series of Who Do You Think You Are?