Moderator Control Panel ]

Help to identify this Soldiers Uniform and Unit

Have you got problems identifying people or buildings in a photograph? Share your photo queries with other users

Help to identify this Soldiers Uniform and Unit

Postby aussiekate » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:19 am

I don't know who this soldier is but i think that his name is Joe according to my Grandmother,i was wondering if i could work out his Unit or Division, then maybe i could search for his Service record, i was also wondering about the ribbons on his chest it has been sujested to me that they are the standard WW1 service medals, but i have seen my GG uncles WW1 medals and i dont think that they look the same. I hope you can help me

thanks

Kate
Attachments
Scan10287 - Copy.JPG
Scan10287 - Copy.JPG (249.74 KiB) Viewed 1062 times
aussiekate

Re: Help to identify this Soldiers Uniform and Unit

Postby craftycsh » Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:31 am

Hi Kate got my hubby to take a look at picture he did 22yrs in army is the lettter on his shoulder RP if it is he thinks it could be Regimental Police hope this might help.Christine
craftycsh

Re: Help to identify this Soldiers Uniform and Unit

Postby AdrianB38 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:50 pm

I'd guess that the shoulder title says "RF" for Royal Fusiliers. The rest of that badge looks vaguely like what we can see here.

Can't help you on the medals, I'm afraid but I wouldn't be surprised if they were the normal pair of British War Medal and Victory Medal - bear in mind that old black and white film picks up colours differently than we might expect - red turning out pretty dark, e.g. But that is just a vague feeling....
Adrian
AdrianB38

Return to Photo identification