Moderator Control Panel ]

Problem staying 'Logged On' AGAIN

If you're having trouble viewing the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum on your computer, tell us here

Re: Problem staying 'Logged On' AGAIN

Postby Matt Elton » Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:44 am

Hi everyone,

As you know, Sarah's now headed off for three months' sabbatical, so I'll be looking after bits and pieces of the site in her absence. The signing out thing is certainly exasperating – I find myself having to log back in every time I want to update something, so it's not just you! I'll get our online team to have a look at what's going on as soon as they get in this morning.

I'm also slightly concerned about the length of time it's taking some of you to be able to access the website. Is it just the forum you're having trouble with, or the site as a whole? We've had no server problems that I know of, but if you could let me know how long it takes you to log on today then that'd be fantastic. You can also email me about either of these problems directly at mattelton@bbcmagazines.com.

Apologies again for the problems. Hopefully we'll have things back to normal as soon as possible.

Matt
Matt Elton

Postby Matt Elton » Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:49 am

Incidentally, there was also talk a while back about the links in the newsletter not working unless you re-signed in. Is this still the case? If so that needs fixing too, as you should be able to access stories from the newsletter links on the site whether you're signed in or not...

Thanks very much for all your help with this!

Cheers,

Matt
Matt Elton

Postby pre1837 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:44 pm

...and it still goes on..again today.
Interested in the surname SNELL circa 1910, Middlesex. and Claudia Vail nee Snell, living and married in Canada from about 1912/16.

Any information is Crown Copyright, from http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"
pre1837

Postby FamilyHistoryAddict » Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:49 pm

It might be if you empty your temporary internet files or use products like CCleaner that cause you not to be recognised by this website - especially if you have set your browser to empty your temporary internet files every time you shut your browser.

Cheers, FHA
FamilyHistoryAddict

Postby pre1837 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:06 pm

FamilyHistoryAddict wrote:It might be if you empty your temporary internet files or use products like CCleaner that cause you not to be recognised by this website - especially if you have set your browser to empty your temporary internet files every time you shut your browser.

Cheers, FHA

I think not, otherwise, why is it ONLY this site where it happens? I know ifyou clear the 'cookies' this happens; I even had to resign to enter this time as a result of my e-mail adving that there was a new entry. Had the problem some months ago, but it was rectified for a time, but now seems to be back with a vengance. And why, compared to other Forum sites, is this one SO slow in opening the pages. There seems to be something fundamentally wrong in the works somewhere.
Interested in the surname SNELL circa 1910, Middlesex. and Claudia Vail nee Snell, living and married in Canada from about 1912/16.

Any information is Crown Copyright, from http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"
pre1837

Postby FamilyHistoryAddict » Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:48 pm

I agree that this website is monumentally slow but staying logged in doesn't just rely on cookies. Your temporary internet files have an effect on this too.

I have come back to this site and have stayed logged on and I believe that is because I haven't had a file clearing session (temp internet files) or shut my computer down.

Cheers, FHA
FamilyHistoryAddict

Postby Sylcec » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:04 pm

Hi Matt
My log-in remains constant providing I only connect to the forum directly from my browser. However, when I connect to the WDYTYA site by following a link from the emailed newsletter, I find that I am no longer logged in. This applies even if I close the browser tab/window from the WDYTYA page followed from the email link and then re-open directly to the forum.
Cheers, Sylvia
Sylcec

Previous

Return to Technical help