Moderator Control Panel ]

Share your thoughts with your fellow family historians – and the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine team – here

Postby FamilyHistoryAddict » Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:20 am

Hi Folks,

1851 was an eventful year in the lives of two of my 2nd great grand uncles (brothers of my great great grandfather, James Kemp).

One (Joshua Kemp) got transported to Western Australia for larceny. He left England and sailed to Western Australia aboard the 832 ton ship called the [i]Pyrenees[/i]. It left Torbay, England on March 30, 1851, (census night) bound for the Swan River Colony. On this voyage the [i]Pyrenees[/i] carried the fourth of 37 shipments of male convicts destined for Western Australia. The voyage took 90 days and the [i]Pyrenees[/i] arrived in Fremantle on June 28, 1851 with 96 passengers and 293 convicts.

Joshua Kemp left a wife and 9 children behind in Norfolk. His wife and two of his children later joined him in Western Australia; but it was nearly three years before they saw him again. They arrived on VICTORY on 24 March 1854.

Also in 1851, Joshua's brother, Joseph Kemp, had to go to court at Norwich because he was a witness in a murder trial. He had to testify against Henry Groom, a resident of Wells Next the Sea, Norfolk, who had shot to death one John Ayton, the superintendent of the Brick and Tile Works at Burnham Overy. The murder took place on the Holkham Estate in Norfolk. [link=http://www.holkham.co.uk/]http://www.holkham.co.uk/[/link]

Joseph, amongst many others, had seen Henry Groom behaving in a furtive manner prior to the murder. This happened in the summer of 1851. In April of 1851, Joseph had lost his wife, Charlotte, to consumption. What a year Joseph! By the way, Henry Groom was found guilty and was hung at Norwich Castle. Henry Groom's death mask can be seen at Norwich castle.

Cheers, FHA
FamilyHistoryAddict

Re: 1851

Postby Jones » Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:32 am

Many thanks for this information.
I have been able to trace my family history back to Henry Groom - he was the step-father of my great, great grandmother, Harriet Hazelton. His death mask is available to view on-line as it is held at the Norwich Castle museum.
Jones

Re: 1851

Postby summer » Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:57 am

Yeah,I think 1851 is a reallly different year for you.
Thanks for telling us this.
Now i need to take some time to trace my family,that's so meaningful.
Best wishes
summer

Return to Genealogy chat