Moderator Control Panel ]

Genealogy on the Mac

Share your thoughts with your fellow family historians – and the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine team – here

Genealogy on the Mac

Postby Drew Hunt » Tue May 25, 2010 4:10 pm

I've been using PCs for longer than I care to think but have recently bought a new iMac from Apple - great machine but won't run my Family Tree Maker software without installing various other additional programs (which I am in the process of attempting).

How about an article in the magazine about genealogy on the Mac? It would be interesting to hear how other people cope and whether the MacFamilyTree software is any good and how it would work with my Ancestry membership.

Drew
Drew Hunt

Re: Genealogy on the Mac

Postby Editor » Wed May 26, 2010 8:27 pm

A new version of Family Tree Maker for Macs is due to be launched later in the year so if you want to keep the same functionality you are used to, you could wait for it. When it comes out we might do a group test of all the major family tree software for Macs.

Sarah
Editor
Site Admin

Postby Drew Hunt » Thu May 27, 2010 9:27 am

Thanks Sarah

That's more information than I got from Ancestry themselves - their replies to queries are rather curt, to say the least. The software seems good, however, so I may upgrade to the Mac version when available.

The other curt reply I got from them related to a query about uploading a tree onto the website - after the original GEDCOM upload you can't merge a later, updated file from Family Tree Maker. A bit of a nuisance as you'd then have re-invite people every time to view all subsequent trees. Also, the great iPhone app then has multiple trees as well! Do YOU know if Ancestry have any plans to allow merging of GEDCOMs? I just got a "not possible" from them!

Cheers
Drew
Drew Hunt

Postby banstie » Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:05 am

I, too, changed recently from a PC to a MAC. Recent updates of FTM seemed to have diminished the Book function so I needed another way to produce our written family history. Word and Publisher did not seem able to cope with the file size and photos.

It took a long time to make the decision to change to the Mac because of the inability to continue using Family Tree Maker which I had found to be a very good programme. Also, I had a lot of work stored on it. However, I found iFamily for the Mac - and love it. I was able to transfer nearly all the data from FTM successfully. Pages, the Mac word processing programme, is brilliant! I now find using Ancestry.co.uk, iPhoto and iFamily so quick and easy that I'm sorry I struggled on with PC and FTM for so long!

The only thing I would say is that FTM 'trained' me. But I won't be going back to it even if they do produce a Mac friendly version. However, I'm not sure how easy iFamily would be for a novice.

Barbara
Happy Mac User
banstie

Return to Genealogy chat