Moderator Control Panel ]

Impact of Natural Disasters on Genealogy

Showcase your research and chat about the latest issues within the field of local history

Impact of Natural Disasters on Genealogy

Postby Sylcec » Mon May 24, 2010 2:01 pm

Hi all
I watched a doco on TV last night about the eruption of Laki (Iceland's Killer Volcano) in 1783 - as it was made in 2006, you folk in the UK probably saw it a few years ago. It was absolutely gripping viewing, particularly fascinating was the thick acid fog which swept across western Europe and Britain in the late summer and autumn of 1783, effectively blocking out the sun. This was then followed by massive storms and a particularly hard winter. These climatic effects of the ongoing eruption of Laki lead poor crop yields, increased livestock deaths and increased human mortality.

I scanned through my list of ancestors and their relatives, and surprisingly I don't seem to have any events in 1783/1784. I wondered if the families of any other readers were affected by this or any other natural disaster so that the course of their descendent lines might be different if they had not been affected?
Sylvia
Sylcec

Re: Impact of Natural Disasters on Genealogy

Postby Guy » Mon May 24, 2010 3:13 pm

No, but a search of various parish registers does show jumps in burials possibly caused by such events.
Cheers
Guy
Guy

Re: Impact of Natural Disasters on Genealogy

Postby AllingtonB » Wed May 26, 2010 5:25 pm

Interesting, Guy.

Could you give one or two examples of parish registers that show this evidence?

Thanks
AllingtonB

Return to Local history