Moderator Control Panel ]

What is Grandad's WW1 uniform?

Have you got problems identifying people or buildings in a photograph? Share your photo queries with other users

What is Grandad's WW1 uniform?

Postby jgking » Wed May 19, 2010 2:33 pm

Can anyone please identify this WW1 army uniform/regiment? (Photo taken in 1918, just before my Grandparents' wedding.)
My maternal Grandfather: Arthur J. Hindley was believed to be an army cook. But Grandad never talked about the war, so I don't know his regiment. There are lots of Northern Hindleys on Army Lists but Grandad was a Londoner, so I need more details.
Many thanks for any help -
J.G. King.
Attachments
Grandad1918.jpg
Photo taken prior to marriage in 1918.
Grandad1918.jpg (62.77 KiB) Viewed 2245 times
jgking

Re: What is Grandad's WW1 uniform?

Postby snaphappy » Thu May 20, 2010 5:48 am

Your grandfather is wearing spurs and bandoleer and although the image is heavily pixelated the cap badge would appear to be that of the Royal Artillery, (this is based on the shape and form of the badge) but a better and more clearer image with less pixelations would say one way or the other. One thing that I can say with certainty is that he has a good conduct chevron on his left lower sleeve which would denote that he had already served for two and a half to three and a half years (depending on which reference material you use) in the regiment without a blemish on his records.
snaphappy

Postby jgking » Sat May 22, 2010 2:51 pm

Hi Snaphappy: Thanks for the info. on Royal Artillery re-my Grandad's regiment. Sorry photo was too pixilated. Sending you another which is quite the worse for wear; shows Grandad at back, 2nd from left, with others who I might be in same regiment - plus Grandad's younger brother (i.e.my Great-Uncle) and friend in naval uniforms. Don't know if this is any further help.

Thanks once again for your message.
Regards: J.King.
Attachments
Grand&Bro.jpg
Soldiers and Navy, WW1
Grand&Bro.jpg (85.39 KiB) Viewed 2171 times
jgking

Postby snaphappy » Sat May 22, 2010 4:43 pm

Although this image is heavily pixelated the cap badge worn by your grandfather, and also that of the soldier standing on the other side of the sailor in the centre, is that of the Royal Artillery, which confirms my first thoughts. Hope that this is of some help to you.
snaphappy
snaphappy

Return to Photo identification