Moderator Control Panel ]

PHOTOS

If you're having trouble viewing the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum on your computer, tell us here

PHOTOS

Postby Jan P » Wed May 19, 2010 9:39 am

The June magazine includes the photo of a wedding party in Inverness early 1900s.
What a wonderfully gorgeous collection of hats were worn by the ladies.
Jan P

Re: PHOTOS

Postby Annie08 » Thu May 20, 2010 8:00 pm

I agree. Our fashion now doesn't really dictate for us to wear such headwear. I do however like a hat myself during the winter months, of various colours depending which coat I wear, however nothing like in the mag, although I wouldn't mind one. The only ocassion I can think of nowadays is 'Ladies Day' at Ascot.

My Great Grandmother like her generation would wear a hat and when she needed a new one would send my Mum to the local store to purchase one. The family would say to my Mum 'not one with flowers', but my Mum would came back with one with flowers! Another story passed down.

Annie08
Annie08

Re: PHOTOS

Postby Jan P » Fri May 21, 2010 10:20 am

As a first-time bride, professional woman, age 50-something, I felt a veil was not quite 'me'. So I chose to wear a large hat for my afternoon wedding. Yes, it looked just right. But what do I do with it now? It has been in a box for the last twelve years.
I have noticed that in recent years some women wear hats (probably hired) to weddings, but whip them off straight after the church service. At one wedding I attended recently the groom's mother wore such a large hat, turned down, that her mouth and chin were the only part of her face visible. Perhaps she did it on purpose to hide her eyes as the groom was her favourite son.
Jan P

Return to Technical help