Moderator Control Panel ]

scottish place names

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

scottish place names

Postby grandmabear » Wed May 19, 2010 4:46 am

I am hoping someone can explain to me where upper Greenland and nether Greenland were or are in Caithness scotland , my 2xgrt grandmother was born in upper greenland and her birth recorded at Dunnet Caithness, her father was born Nether Greenland and recorded at Dunnet caithness.
thanks Jan
grandmabear

Re: scottish place names

Postby callbrian » Wed May 19, 2010 9:24 am

Hi Jan,
I Googled Greenland, there doesn't seem to be an awful lot of info available. The Google map shows Greenland to be approx 5.5 miles from Dunnet, whether there is still an upper & nether Greenland it doesn't say. Obviously why your relatives were registered there.
Brian
[color=#0000FF]callbrian[/color]
callbrian

Postby Annie08 » Thu May 20, 2010 7:52 pm

I tried googling this one too and two web-sites came up: one being www.scotlandsplaces.gov.uk which may be of more use that the other which was for the Greenland White-fronted Goose Study!

I've never used the scotlandsplaces site before so hope it is of use.

Annie08
Annie08

scottish place names

Postby wozcav » Wed May 26, 2010 4:35 pm

Hi, Quite often places say one Village, had an upper and lower element not unlike a hilly or later build to it. my Family from just such as here in Lincolnshire, nether presumed back-of, if this of help? Old references might reveal this in records? Good luck!
wozcav

Postby colliehouse » Thu May 27, 2010 7:15 pm

Hi
Greenland is a small collection of houses and farms, a pretty little place in the most beautiful area of Scotland and therefore the world.

Caithness is a very rural area and although the village shops are mostly gone, although a few remain, the areas are still identified and identifiable. Most little hamlets still have houses called The Old Inn, The Smithy etc..

I can find on the map Moss of Greenland, Lower Greenland, East, West and Mains of Greenland. I can't see a Nether Greenland but it may be that it is not showing on new maps and would show up on an old map of the area. You want ND2467 and surrounding area. You also might try asking on the forum on www.caithness.org.

Good luck
colliehouse

Postby grandmabear » Sat May 29, 2010 3:14 am

Thank you all for the replies, I had wondered if it was a farming community.
thanks again Jan
grandmabear

Postby chuckgaish » Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:03 pm

I have a map on my tree on Ancestry that shows Nether Greenland if anybody wants it go to

Magnus Steven's born 1761 Nether Greenland on Gaish/Bremner and many more tree.
chuckgaish

Postby grandmabear » Fri Nov 04, 2016 12:51 am

Thank you for that, I checked your ancestry tree and found the map, it's a great map .
We share ancestors John Steven and Elspeth Dunnet. Their son William married Jannet Coghill and their daughter Christian is my 2 x great Grandmother.
Thank you again
Janice
grandmabear

Postby chuckgaish » Fri Nov 04, 2016 12:56 pm

Hi Janice, pleased it helped, if you want access to my tree please contact me via Ancestry.

Regards Chuck
chuckgaish

Return to General research queries