Moderator Control Panel ]

Isaac family from Carmarthenshire

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Isaac family from Carmarthenshire

Postby bootup » Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:03 pm

Hi
I'm having trouble finding my Great Grandfather David John Isaac, he keeps changing his mind where he was born.
he got married to Ann James in Eston Middlesborough in 1877 aged 20 years, his wife was aged 16 years and born in Ystalfera,glam. On the 1901 census he said he was born in Brynnamman Carmarthenshire and that he was 45years, which makes him born around 1856, in the 1891 census he says he was born in Gwaun-cae-gurwen, Carmarthenshire and that he was aged 34 which makes him born around 1857, which is fine. He was living in Ystalfera in both census's, but I cannot find his birth anywhere, he said on hhis marriage cert that his father's name was also David John Isaac and that he was deceased.
Please can anyone help me get back another generation on this family. Also I have never been able to find this family in the 1881 census. Their first daughter Margaret was born in Eston in 1878. the rest of their children were born in Wales.
Thanks. Elvira.
bootup

RE: Isaac family from Carmarthenshire

Postby Elin » Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:53 pm

Hi, I have had similar trouble with Welsh relatives, because places seem to have several names and also boundaries have moved around a lot. I just looked on Genuki and found that Ystalfera is also called Llangiwg and Brynnamman is called Llangadock. Also they may have been registered to the nearest big town.
Not everybody registered at all at that time.

All the best, Elin
Elin

RE: Isaac family from Carmarthenshire

Postby bootup » Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:26 pm

Thank you Erin for that information, but I already knew about that.
Thanks anyway.
Elvira.
bootup

Return to General research queries