Moderator Control Panel ]

Suffolk Rinaldos

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Suffolk Rinaldos

Postby sandieb » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:25 pm

Don't know if anyone can help me on this one but my 3xgrt grandfather rejoiced in the name of Reinaldo (appears on some documents as Rinaldo) Bareham, rather a grand name for a Suffolk pig farmer! It looks as though the name came from his mother Elizabeth's family as her brother was Rinaldo Robinson as was one of her uncles and it looks like there were a few Rinaldos inthe Robinson family of Clare in Suffolk. It seems such an odd forename in a family where everyone else seems to have had "normal" names and I wondered if anyone has any idea where it may have come from in this instance.
sandieb

Re: Suffolk Rinaldos

Postby ejolly » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:18 pm

sandieb wrote:Don't know if anyone can help me on this one but my 3xgrt grandfather rejoiced in the name of Reinaldo (appears on some documents as Rinaldo) Bareham, rather a grand name for a Suffolk pig farmer! It looks as though the name came from his mother Elizabeth's family as her brother was Rinaldo Robinson as was one of her uncles and it looks like there were a few Rinaldos inthe Robinson family of Clare in Suffolk. It seems such an odd forename in a family where everyone else seems to have had "normal" names and I wondered if anyone has any idea where it may have come from in this instance.

Unique names are a gift for genealogists, but it can be frustrating to be unsure of their origins. As Mr Bareham appears to have been named after the Robinson Rinaldos, it would be useful for you to find out as much about them as possible, and try to find the original Rinaldo in that family.

Do you think the family may have been opera buffs? Handel wrote an opera, Rinaldo, which was first performed in 1711. The Rinaldo in this is a dashing knight, and thus a possible inspiration for a boy's name.

Another option is that Rinaldo may have been the surname of a relative, employer or friend. East Anglians often used the surname of an errant father as the first name for an illegitimate child. Other babies were christened with the surname of their godfather or a family friend.
You do need to try and use parish registers to trace back to the baptism of the first Rinaldo, however, in order to place and date the original usage in your family.

Good luck!
ejolly

Postby callbrian » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:28 pm

Hi,
I looked with great interest at the name Rinaldo, thinking it was perhaps Spanish or Portuguese.
I searched http://www.familysearch.org and only found Rinaldo's marriages. Had his first wife died and did he marry sisters? Elizabeth Webb 1822, Ellen Webb 1826.
Checking Hugh Wallis' IGI for Clare, Suffolk, I found another strange name Mehetabel Bareham b 07 Aug 1809. Any relation?
Brian
[color=#0000FF]callbrian[/color]
callbrian

Postby callbrian » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:41 pm

Hi again,
further to my last reply, I assume you had known about the following article:
The Bury & Norwich Post August 7th 1816

Jacob Halls, Samuel Gridley, Rhinaldo Bareham and Henry Atherton were convicted of burning a threshing machine at Clare, 13 months gaol to the former three and the latter 9 months.

Brian
[color=#0000FF]callbrian[/color]
callbrian

Postby sandieb » Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:34 pm

Thanks to you both for the replies. I am definately going to have to visit Suffolk and have a look at the Clare parish registers to see if I can find out how far back in the Robinson line the name first appears. Then hopefully I can work from there.
The threshing machine incident was something mentioned to me by a fellow member of Genesreunited. He was pretty sure Rinaldo had served time for wrecking farm machinery but didn't have any more details, so thanks for that. It's always good to know you've had a convict in the family! The Elizabeth/Ellen Webb thing is a mystery to me as I was only aware of him being married to Ellen so that's something else I'll need to delve into the parish records for.
As for Mehetabel, the name certainly rings a bell (not one you could easily forget really) and I'm pretty certain they fit in there somewhere. I've always been led to believe anyone with the name Bareham who came from Clare is related in some way.
sandieb

Postby Lordy100 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:54 pm

Hi,
I've recently come across a Ronaldo Robinson b.1730 in my family tree. He married a Martha Brady. I noticed this post was quite old and wondered whether you had found out anything more. I too was intrigued by the name.
Emily
Lordy100

Return to General research queries