Moderator Control Panel ]

Was my great-grandad a freemason?

Have you got problems identifying people or buildings in a photograph? Share your photo queries with other users

Postby orchardangel » Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:02 pm

Help!
I recently found a picture of my great-grandad. His name was Albert Phillips and he lived in Bristol. He worked at the Redcliffe Shot Tower and died in 1930, aged 30, of TB. Does this picture mean he was a freemason? Can anyone tell me about the clothes he is wearing? What does the apron represent? Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks.
Orchardangel
Attachments
Albert Phillips.jpg
Albert Phillips. Does this picture (taken approx 1925) mean he is a freemason?
Albert Phillips.jpg (208.4 KiB) Viewed 3204 times
orchardangel

Re: Was my great-grandad a freemason?

Postby rescueman989 » Sun May 16, 2010 8:10 am

I think as the apron shows a Buffalo Head it would be more in keeping with the " RAOB " buffs.

They do have a website http://www.raob.org I am sure they could help you.
rescueman989

Postby Deputy Editor » Thu May 20, 2010 3:04 pm

Hello there
I've just had a phone call from a Mr Fletcher who spotted the picture of Albert on page 8 of last month's magazine. He told me he has a picture of his great grandfather in exactly the same regalia. He was a Grand Master of the Buffaloes (or 'Buffs' for short). So in the picture, the buffalo's head indicates the Buffaloes and the GM stands for 'Grand Master' a prestigious title indeed!
Mr Fletcher says he hopes this helps…
Claire
Deputy Editor

Postby orchardangel » Thu May 20, 2010 7:58 pm

Hi,
I would like to say a big thank you to those who have got in contact to help with identifying Albert's regalia. It is much appreciated. Having never heard of the RAOB 'Buffs' before, I feel I am now becoming a mini-expert after spending a long time on their website today! Thank you so much for pointing me in the right direction.
Orchardangel
ps: Thanks for featuring Albert in your magazine. My mum (Albert's grandaugher) loved seeing his picture in print!
orchardangel

Postby wozcav » Wed May 26, 2010 10:23 am

Hello OA, Just read your updates, sorry to say the Grand-Master reply is erroneous, the letters are CM not GM as suggested but, help is always valued regardless! My letters to Bristol-RAOB and Grand-Lodge
are being dealt with currently re. his History, back when this comes in? WC.
wozcav

Postby callbrian » Wed May 26, 2010 1:06 pm

Hi,
Yes the CM not GM as previously posted, stands for City Marshall. What that actually means within the RAOB's I'm not too sure.
Brian
[color=#0000FF]callbrian[/color]
callbrian

Postby wozcav » Wed May 26, 2010 3:18 pm

Hi All, Yes CM descriptor is correct thanks, it is a Lodge-Office status but, I'm writing a reprise re. Albert's History in this for OA as we speak so not to worry here! Still valued!
wozcav

Return to Photo identification